using the mop

imsweet

Never made a mop before but the person i got the adult (australe) killies off said they were happily using it. So i had a go and put it in there yesterday. This afternoon i saw the fish all hanging around it and the male and 1 female shooting thru. I had a looksie and found 2 eggs. :lol: I know i've probably upset them by checking now. but im not planning on raising any of their fry yet ( no spare tanks ) But good experiment for me. :bounce:

the mop needs to be made from acrylic or similar as woolen ones will rot.

You may have disturbed them for 30 seconds as they are only doing what comes natural to them. Remove the eggs and place them in a container with a bit of Meth Blue. When breeding I feed them twice a day and rem ove eggs twice a day as well so that they are not hungry and therefore less chance of eating their eggs

Yep i made it out of nylon wool stuff not 100% wool. tied a piece of poly to the top and it hangs about mid way. Will the eggs be ok in a container outside the tank? The lounge is pretty warm all day, cooling slightly at night. Will i need to aerate too or is a bit of weed ok in there? I'm pretty happy just concentrating on the eggs i've hatched from Barrie, dont want to get too many going at once and neglecting the main ones.

I wouldnt bother with the mop untill you want the eggs to be honest. The eggs will need to be at about 20cel or higher. I float mine on the tank.

No air is needed either when they are in egg form or even when the fry are growing for 2 to 4 weeks but when they go into larger tanks, it pays to have air. By all means put java moss in with the fry (I do for all fry Nothos included) but there is no advantage in putting it in with eggs( their not into gardnering)

The Australe eggs will hatch in 14 to 20 days so again, if you dant want them, dont collect them

yeah, i only made one as i said i hadnt done it before. have taken it out but will keep the eggs in mind for when the others are in their tank. When the weather warms up the WCMM are going outside again so might have a go at raising a few eggs to go in the comm tank.