Emperor Snapper

David R

I was at Wonderworld on Sunday, and they had a heap of marines, including about 4 young emperor snapper.

Does anyone have any experience keeping them? I know they get huge (I remember the big one at Jansens in Botany, anyone know what happened to it?) but what I want to know is how fast? I could comfortably house it up to around 20-24", but I'd want to be settled in my own house before committing to an even bigger tank.

Its just a crazy pipe dream really, but they're amazing looking fish!! :lol:

Care Level: Difficult

The Emperor Snapper, also known as the Sebae Snapper, is vividly marked as a juvenile, with bold red to black stripes on a white body. It is an extremely fast-growing fish, and with age, the striping begins to fade until the fish is an overall reddish-pink color.

A 180 gallon or larger aquarium is necessary for this hardy and big fish. As a juvenile, it likes to school with other Emperor Snappers, but as an adult, it should be alone in the tank. It may eat ornamental crustaceans in the aquarium.

The Emperor Snapper should be fed once a day with its favorite meaty foods including chopped meats (scallop, shrimp, fish).

Yeah I found that. Put up a post on reefcentral, apparently they're fast growers, and would need a tank around 500g (8'x3'x30") to be comfortable as they're active swimmers. Would probably out-grow my 160g in about 12-18 months. I wonder who they're going to sell them to, they had 4-5 of them...