Missing eye!!!!

bedazzled

I have just noticed that one of my harlequin rasboras is missing an eye :o:o

I have also in the last week or so had one of my inhabitants fin nipping my guppies.

I have seen my beta chasing the guppies, I have never seen him actually attack them though.

Is it likely that he is responsible for the chunks out of tails and the missing eyeball?

The other recent introductions are some khuli loaches and a opaline gourami.

The gourami showed a slight bit of aggression when he was first added but has been fine since ( that I have seen any way)

The khuli loaches really only come out at food time but it is likely they are out and about after lights out.

Will the rasbora be suffering? Should I euthanise or will it be ok? It is swimming normally and you wouldn't know anything was wrong until it turned it's damaged side towards you *shudders*

Any suggestions appreciated

Fish can survive just fine with one eye but it's not as aesthetically pleasing to look at. I'm not overly fussy myself. I would medicate the water though or place him in a hospital tank if available for a few days to give him a chance to recover. I personally wouldn't trust the gourami, they can be a bit aggressive. What other fish do you have in the aquarium? Could also be fish wanting to breed and that can also make them quite territorial and aggressive. How big is the aquarium too? If it's overstocked they could be fighting over space.

Thanks for your reply

The gourami is still small, I also have some young angels which I guess could also be the culprits but they have shown no signs of aggression towards any of the other fish.

The tank is 200L, 1000mm long

I have in it:

BN

khuli loaches

cories

Betta (1 male)

angel fish (2 young)

balloon mollies

SAE (he is a possible suspect too)

harlequin rasbora

leopard danios

neons

assorted guppies, mostly young

platies X 2

I have also since noticed that 1 of the leopard danios has been attacked, she has blood near where her front fins and anal fin join her body.

I plan on putting the Betta in a breeding trap tonight and see if there is any more damage over night.

Who ever the culprit turn out to be will not be sticking around.

I am quite upset about my danio as they were the very first fish I got when I set up my first tank and they have grown gorgeous long fins and I am very attached to them :(

I don't think any one apart form the guppies and the balloon mollies are interested in breeding and I have never seen any aggression from them

Well it doesn't seem to be overstocked by the looks of things, however you could have a compatibility issue. Male Betta's aren't all that compatible with much really and he could be the terror. I've also had problems keeping Angels as I've found them to be just too aggressive the larger they get and they don't like betta's. The SAE.... I've never had too much trouble with them but the bigger they get, the more trouble they could cause. Hard to really say as it is possible to keep incompatible fish together as sometimes they do happen to get along, but then again you can see the opposite of that on occasion with fish that are suppose to compatible. Sometimes it's just the fish. Unfortunately I don't know everything about fish so I can just give you suggestions of what I know from my own experience, maybe someone else may have a better idea? However, the ones I'd keep my eye on is the betta, possibly the angels, the gourami and maybe the SAE. Also with the SAE you may want to make sure he is a "real" one and not a flying fox. The FF are much more aggressive than the SAE and could be the culprit. I had one once and all he did was terrorize everything in the tank. Unfortunately alot of stores will sell you fakes listed as SAE. I'll paste in some info on the 2 to help you identify....

Siamese Algae Eater or SAE:

The true SAE has a jagged black horizontal stripe that goes all the way to the tip of the tail. All of the SAE's fins are clear. The black and white and their contrast are more intense than with the other algae eaters below.

False Siamese Algae Eater or false SAE:

The false SAE if usually found in shipments of true SAE (or the other way around). Unlike the SAE, the black stripe ends at the beginning of the tail. Often, if one goes to buy SAE's in a US aquarium store, they may in fact be all or mostly false SAE's. False SAE's may have some red around the mouth and a yellow tint to the fins. My false SAE had some nice gold and red on the dorsal fin. Mine was sold as a flying fox.

Flying Fox:

Just like the true SAE, the flying fox has a black horizontal stripe that goes all the way to the tip of the tail. Unlike the SAE, the edges of the stripe are smooth and not zagged. The flying fox may have some rainbow-like coloring on the fins. It is more pretty than the other fish mentioned on this page. The black horizontal stripe extends to the end of the tail like the SAE but it is much stronger and broader.

Hope this helps and you are able to deal with your terror before anything more happens. By the way, how did it go with putting the Betta in the breeding trap?

Hi, thanks again for your reply

The betta spent 1 night in "time out" and I took him back to my LFS. There has been no more problems so I am pretty sure it was him.

All the other fish seem happier since he has gone too.

The fish with the missing eye is doing well, showing no signs that he even knows he is missing an eye lol

The leopard danio is still pretty unwell and I am not sure if she will survive.

I put in some tonic salt and saw a slight improvement from yesterday to today so hopfully she will come right.

I am also quite sure my SAE is a real SAE, I did quite a bit of research and hunting before buying one as others gave me info about the flying foxes etc.

Thanks for your help catfish :D

Well, just an update...

It has been a week since I removed the Betta and there have been no more injuries.

The danio is now fully recovered, she was VERY sick for a while there, from the symptoms I described to the LFS they thought she was showing signs of organ failure, I am so glad I stuck with it and she came right :D

The harlequin rasbora and fine with only 1 eye, so all is well in my tank :D

Thanks again for your help catfish :bow: