Community watch

AquaMax

Hi,

I am wondering if Blue or Bolivian Rams would be able to hold there own against a school of marauding Tiger barbs in a 180lt well planted community tank?

Not a huge tank I know but it will be well planted with plenty of hiding places and not overly populated as my main focus will be the plants.

I love Tiger barbs but am very keen on Bolivian Rams as well...

Any advice?

Tiger barbs are fine in a community tank so long as you have a group of them. They generally only start their fin nipping when they are bored and the group is too small.

Rams should be able to hold their own, even if the barbs start pestering them. They are able to defend themselves and in a planted tank there shouldn't be too much contact between the two groups of fish as the rams will stay in the bottom third and the barbs should stay quite high.

The only problems you may have is if the rams start breeding, then the barbs will find an angry cichlid if they come pestering. They can get quite territorial anyway, but if they breed, they will defend their territory aggresively.

we have 5 tigers in our 135 litre tank, sharing it with a school of neons, gouramis and now loaches. ive never seen the Tigers harass any of the other fish, they seem content in swimming around close together, chasing each other etc..

actually keen to add a ram or two, would that work in a tank our size?

I know barbs have a pretty bad reputation and are known to be fin-nippers, but in my experience with rams (Blue rams), the rams are able to hold their own and win in any fight. The rams can get pretty territorial, but remember, they usually hang out in the bottom of the tank, whereas the barbs school midwater.

I've never had a problem with tigers (or any fish) picking on rams, so depending on the temperament of the individual fish, they should be ok.