Salt in Goldfish tank

BK

What do people think about adding salt to Goldfish tanks? My partner and I can't see any reason in adding salt to any tank unless there’s a reason i.e. itch etc but my sister in-law adds 1 table spoon for every 20ltr and is always having problem with slime layer and breathing problems in the tanks. I think the salt could be the problem.

BK

Ripped straight off the net...

Salt Dosage for Goldfish":3rvpqjfs]Salt levels do not dissipate with water evaporation or small water changes. Freshwater/coldwater fish like Goldfish are not designed to live in a saline environment. Salt is a wonderful remedy to treat ailments, or to control the toxicity of nitrite/nitrate spikes, but as a normal maintenance procedure it is a no-no for goldfish. Salt also tends to make water harder. If you already have hard water, you are adding to his stress. Through what is called "osmosis" your goldfish already maintains a normal high salt concentration in his body fluids and needs to absorb freshwater into his cells to keep in balance. By adding more salt to his water, you are overloading his system and putting him under osmotic stress. This can be fatal. It saps their energy and strength and weakens their immune system, or can even kill them. This is probably why your fish is spending a lot of time "sleeping" at the bottom of the tank. Give him some fresh oxygenated water w/o the salt. Save the salt for only when he is sick or there is a problem with your water. Happy fishing!!

Well that's what the Internet says, but in reality it's probably a different case altogether!