egg crate for reef rack

chimera

Most plastic suppliers carry it as light diffusers. At least, that is where I bought mine. The only worry about some of these types is the size of the square. The smallest that my local plastic shop had available was 15mm. I’ve read somewhere that 10mm is that largest hole that you should use, but I went ahead with the 15mm anyway and all seems good so far. It is pretty fragile stuff and there are always some broken sheets in a box. If you can get a hold of one of these out of a remnants bin, they are next to nothing. I bought a 2’x4’ sheet with a corner broken off for around $5.

If you support it with approximately 2†diameter PVC short tubes spaced a few inches apart (which I imagine you would do with whatever egg crate you find), it is more than study enough. I even stood on mine and it was fine. The total weight of your rock may be 70 lbs or even much more, but it is widely dispersed.

egg crate is not necessarily lighting diffuser (in the true sense of the word) egg crate has louvres in it which can disperse light. a true lighting diffuser is a solid translucent plastic with pits in it that causes light to disperse and scatter (although i guess egg crate could do these due to its design) i used a lighting diffuser 6 months ago in my bathroom at the bottom of my skylights. i guess an egg crate could perform the same job so in the industry they may call them the same thing which is where i was getting a little confused - thinking diffuser was solid piece of plastic and egg crate had holes in it.

pies, what store did you get it from? was it a local wellies store - do they have an auckland "presence?" steve - i know the place in penrose just too far to go for some bloody plastic!!!

There are Light diffusers,

and then there are light Diffusers,

dare say there are light diffusers too.

BUT

The normal one described in the hobby, is a light diffuser.

One with small, square holes, thru the depth of it.

Alan

Why not try an electrical store, they sell lighting defusers (AKA EGGCRATE!), I have seen in in mastertrade.

Funny thing is I just looked up, and out lights have Egg Crate for lighting defusers.

We also have them in our eleivators.

Piemania