Juwel Background Poster - best way to attach?

Romeo

Some people spread a thin layer of oil on it and press the oiled side against the back of the tank. Then push the bubbles out with a credit card or ruler or something. It gives a really nice finish.

A similar result can be achieved with water, and the backing can be peeled off and used over again (it can't if you use oil.

I have been known to attach the backing to heavy corrugated cardboard then put the cardboard against the glass.

Or just blutak if you're not to bothered about how it looks! :lol:

Thanks Whetu, used the water method and it worked perfectly!

1) Cleaned the back of the tank

2) Dried it

3) Got a wet cloth and blew through it to get a fine mist on the back of the tank

4) Applied the poster, starting at the top

5) Worked my way down with a credit card wrapped in a cloth smoothing out the bubbles

I'm sure double sided tape would be a far better option if you've already got your 150kg+ tank pressed up against the wall with an inch of room behind!

Though I must say, I was very impressed with how well the water method came out, it looked professional! Has a mirror finish on the back it's that smooth ;D.

Sorry Whetu, I'm just being a bit pedantic about my first tank.

There's nothing worse than getting it all together and setup with 100kgs of water and then realising "Hey, if only I'd put a bit more effort into that..."

Well, I think it's worth it! I only posted my "instructions" because there may be other people out there in my position (completely clueless) who may benefit from it. I guess it's just common knowledge for the more experienced aquariumists.

PS: I'm actually a software developer, I guess that explains the meticulous nature!

LOL! Don't be sorry about being pedantic! I think it's a very good sign that you have patience and attention to detail - both things that are useful to a fish-keeper.

...There's nothing worse than getting it all together and setup with 100kgs of water and then realising "Hey, if only I'd put a bit more effort into that..."

You're right about that. Three things about a tank that can be the hardest to correct if you get it wrong: The stand, the background and the substrate. A bit of time and effort put into getting those right can save a lot of aggravation later, in my experience.