Cloudy Water - Help

Chris&Nicole

Hi. I am hoping someone can help me out. I still havent set up my new tank but my old one has registered highish Nitrite and Nitrate levels. I can sort this out no worries as they have come down with water changes. The problem is that the water is extremely cloudy. What could cause this? It just won't go away. Could the melafix I had in two weeks ago there have done it? I have noticed though that some of the algae I had in tehre has gone very light...sort of Khaki...is this a clue?

If it is white cloudy then it is a bacterial bloom,if green, algae bloom. Either way it will be your high nutrient's, keep up the water changes (might be worth testing your new water in-case you are adding more nutrient's), and reduce your feeding for a while. You might also want to look at your filter if it's not keeping up.

Hi :) I am running an Eheim Classic 2213 on a 200L tank (3 year old setup). It has kept up before, just not sure what is happening now. Really frustrating. Any treatments available for Algal Blooms? It seems to be a very light green cloudiness (not sure though as I have a plant background).

high nitrite?? That's a serious killer for many fish.

Sounds like your beneficial bacteria (converts ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate) has died off. What filter are you running, have you cleaned it recently, and how did you clean it? Has it been turned off? How long has it been setup for?

High nitrate can cause algae blooms, but 10% weekly water changes should keep nitrate to sensible levels. If not then how much are you feeding?

Hi. I am running an Eheim Classic 2213 on a 200L tank (3 year old setup). I have cleaned it recently, but this usually consists of removing the basket, rinsing everything in tank water siphoned out in the change and replace the white filter wool. It hasnt been turned off to the best of my knowledge. I have just tested my Nitrite and its 0.1. Nitrate is 5. Ammonia is reading as 4.0 but I have been using Ammo Lock and I was told that will convert it to a harmless form but will still register. Its weird though that it didnt dilute with the water changes.

The fish look alright (they arent gasping or anything). Am I in dangerous territory here? I have done 2 water changes in two days (50%) and am feeding them every three days.

I am stuffed if I know what is going on.

Hi :) I am running an Eheim Classic 2213 on a 200L tank (3 year old setup). It has kept up before, just not sure what is happening now. Really frustrating. Any treatments available for Algal Blooms? It seems to be a very light green cloudiness (not sure though as I have a plant background).

An Eheim 2213 should keep up ok if your tank is not over-stocked - what fish do you have in there, and how big are they?

Also the questions about cleaning and maintaining the filter are important. Sometimes people see a bit of a change and take drastic action like giving their filter a really thorough clean - and then find they have killed off the good greeblies and that makes things worse.

I had a green cloudy water problem recently (my first time in many years of fish-keeping). I'm pretty certain the cause was the kiwifruit I put in the tank! :lol: The fish really devoured it but my goodness what a mess! I ended up using the blackout + algae fix method and the problem has not recurred.

Have you changed anything about your feeding regime recently? eg the brand, quantity, or the person in the house who's doing the feeding? If you have kids, this might be a good time to remind them about not over-feeding, and that the fish don't get fed every time they come up to the glass and gaze longingly at you. :wink:

Oops sorry, I was slow typing my response and missed your next post :roll:

You seem to have answered most of my questions. I will just add: when I used the blackout/ algae fix to solve my cloudy water problem, my tank was not registering any nitrite or ammonia. I don't know what effect the algae fix will have on a tank that is apparently cycling.

IMO you're not in dangerous territory as long as you keep up those water changes and keep an eye on your fish.

I'm also at a loss to know what is going on and will be interested in other suggestions.

Yeah it is the first problem I have had in three years. I only have the tank lightly stocked at the moment. 4 medium angels, 3 Gold Barbs, two black widows and a silver shark (about 8cm ish).

Should I just get the new tank ready and transfer them all over, but then again I will have the cycling problems again......arghhhhh lol

Thanks for all your help so far guys :) I am incredibly appreciative.