substrate fo cichlids

nicmack

I have a cichlid tank with some electric yellows at the moment i have some bigger white pebbles for the substrate but really like the white sand look -where do I get this stuff from and does it stay clean for long? what sort of rocks are the best for making caves? - I think my present ones are just too large !

Schist and slate are great for making caves. Or limestone rocks.

You can use coral sand for african tanks but we have mainly used this for smaller tangy species.

Marble chip is great to use, you just turn it over with syphon while doing water changes and you get that bright white look again, alot finer than the white larger pebble look.

it is crushed marble or oragonite that is the white sandy type substrate. I got mine through my lfs, they orfered it in. Mine went brown early on but after a few months it stayed white. An existing tank more than likely won't have an algae problem, just make sure it's well rinsed before putting it in the tank.

When setting up a nice display with alot of rock work, it pays to lay your rocks before substrate.. this way the rocks don't shift when mbuna etc dig 8) Also reduces dead spot issue in your tank if the majority are laid before substrate.. 8)