skimmer with overflow in collection cup

chimera

ok this maybe a stupid question but...

i've noticed on some skimmer's a small hole drilled in the bottom of the collection cup with a pipe that runs away to a sink. is this by design on some skimmer's or do people add this hole on themselves? question being, could I add a hole and drain this away? reason i ask is when water height in sump is high, i get water in the collection cup rather than the usual foam/crud you get (well, i still get both)

actually not,Ira that crud is pretty toxic if your cup is full you don't empy it enough, also cleaning the cup at the same time is preferable as the skimmer will work more efficeintly(sp)

Chimera, the hole is factory but you can add one,although once again refer above :D

My APF 850 (now in the possession of Nick S) had a DIY hole, my new APF902 had a factory hole.

Personally I find them to be a real pain, especially when you do get around to cleaning it, as its messy and drips through the hose.

Everything Steve said is right.

HOWEVER - While in Fiji for over 2 weeks I did 'engage' the overflow system into a 1.5 coke bottle. Just meant that my 'tank minder' didn't have to deal with the skimmer, which as you know needs to be shut off when its emptied. I didn't want him to do it. So they do have a use (or for me).

I clean out my skimmer cup every Saturday or Sunday. Its a horrid mess, when I move onto the new tank (and have access to the sink downstairs) I am going to make an effort to do it twice a week.

Pies

A tap is a must, otherwise when you lift it off it dribbles everywhere!

I would put it about 1/2 up the cup, but my factory is right in the bottom, which means its always fill of gunk up to the tap for day to day and is harder to clean.

Piemania