nitrate problems

sorcha

Hi there,

I'm having some nitate issues. I've recently sold a few fish so wouldn't say my tanks too overstocked.

It's a 430l african cichlid tank, just tested the water from the hose and tap which I use for water changes and nitrate is around 5-10.

So if I'm adding nitrate each time I do a water change how am I going to lower nitrate levels in the tank? I guess being such a low amount of nitrate it should gradually lower in the tank.

Any other ideas? I feed once a day, however have recently been feeding home made fish food aswell which is fairly messy.

I've just had one fish go missing and another that looks sick and have just put it in a different tank, I haven't lost any in this tank for 6 months to a year and don't want to lose more.

:(

I didnt think a nitrate level of 5-10 would make that much diff would it ? my planted fish tank is consistently on 10 regardless of whether I do weekly or biweekly water changes. I had a few fish deaths but 99% of stock survived. I hear plants will use up nitrate anyway if given the right light etc, but my tank is well planted and still have low nitrate.

Ok cool, I might do a larger change and get the nitrates right down, the hardest part is I can't use tap water so am using bore water from the hose and adding kettle water (mixed with cold so not boiling)to try and keep the heat up, so it's hard to change too much without freezing the tank and fish..

So I've just done around a 50% water change and nitrate is still high at least 40+, hard to tell!

Any other ideas? nitra zorb? No plants in the tank.

I guess i'll do another big change in a couple of days, just ashame i'm adding nitrate back in the tank with each water change, feels like a losing battle!lol

Cool,

Yeah I'm hoping it's 40 which I'm sure is ok, very hard to tell the difference between 40 and 80+.

Still they all look happy so far so we'll see how things go and still do another water change in a couple of days oh yay lol

I would do gradual water changes and monitor the all parameters on a daily basis and some experimentation, I read cichlids can be quite messy and you suppose to get a filter that can handle 2x what the tank size is for effective filtration, not sure if there's any truth in that though but it makes sense to me.

I would also wonder if putting fishes on a diet makes your nitrate go up slower

also did you check for dead fishes ? awhile back I had a small tank and a fish has gone missing, I thought it was lost but never found it until a week later when I took off the powerhead / filter, and it was stuck between the powerhead and the glass rotting away. I also had dead fishes caught under drift woods etc