Polystyrene chemical reaction ???

Johannes Visser

I want to cover a 10cm square Polystyrene with a layer of marine silicone sealer and then sprinkle it with sand. To be used as a base to build up a wall of corral in my 8 foot cichlid tank. :roll:

Was told that if I covered the Polystyrene with the silicone it could create a chemical reaction that could poison the fish! Is this true has anyone done this before ? Is there some thing I need to know or use? :o

I will have my tangs in the tanks and don't want to kill them :cry: Any info and suggestion would be appreciated :wink:

Thanks Lynn

One of our members made a backing sheet for her freshwater tropicals, scooping out caves etc spreading silicone on it and adding gravel and sand to it. Looked great and never had a problem with toxicity. Make sure the silicone used is aquarium safe.

my 8 foot cichlid tank

I will have my tangs in the tanks

Am I missing something?

IMO you are better off using something hollow to attach the coral rock to so you get better water movement through it, plus offer hiding places for fish. You can also use it to hid plumbing, heater etc. What about getting some egg crate and using cable ties to make the shape you want then cable tie the coral to it.

some sealants are solvent cure and will melt the polystyrene aquarium sealant is normally acetic cure which wont melt the poly i would still recommend curing the sealant in water before puting the fish in tho

Alternatively buy a neutral cure silicone.

Don't worry about the "do not immerse in water" label on the back. A certain glazier in Auckland uses this for his tanks and they haven't leaked yet.

Basically means they haven't payed the money to get it tested - so if something goes wrong they have the disclaimer on the packet.

I glued, tested, and had a tank leak 4 times before I realised I was using neutral cute silicon. It worked the first time using the good stuff. If you put a bead of each type on glass let them dry and try pulling them off you will soon see the difference.