sinking algae sticks

mitch

went to east road pets to get some sinking sticks for algae grazing cichlids from JBL only to be told that they dont make it any more.

Which is fine but as my cichlids are of the east african rift valley, they like there veg, and do not seem to be taking to the stick m for carnivorous cichlids that the pet shop has sold me.

i am sure that i am not the only one who will now be asking what do we feed them now.

Any ideas what i can feed them?

Oh sorry... I didn't even see your sig, duh :lol: Check out with your local store and see if they can get you another brand of algae grazing product, if they get Sera product in that is good stuff... well my mbuna have seemed to love it

no great loss, sinking sticks get crushed in the mouth & as they are so dry they fog the water with "crumbs" out of my fishs gill plates & create nitrates etc & ruin the water, have you had any problems with algae? sera have a great range of african food, im currently using granumeat & granugreen in conjuction with sushi wrap, blood worms once a week & mosquito larvae.

I have never had problems with sinking sticks.... water quality has never suffered because of them... I don't use them now as we are using NLS mainly... but when we did use them, they were great... no more messyness than usual... 8)

Sera Granugreen is good for the mbuna, that's what we had ours on for a while.... however I never made a habit of feeding Granumeat for East African Carnivores.. that was fed to Peacocks and Frontosa etc... not the mbuna.

yes i did get alot but a got a suckermouth catfish and it has cleaned it all up..

Now i hope i am wrong but the shop did not know the name because the name they were given was not in there books but it is reddish-brown and it looks so much like the one in the book, it is a leopard pleco GLYTOPERICHTHYS GIBBICEPS. 19in i do hope that size is wrong

mitch.. I had a Leopard Spot pleco for 2 years and it was nowhere near as fast growing as Red Spots etc.... infact I have read somewhere that they don't grow as big, and that was a pleco enthusiast website, can't recall where that site was now... But our one certainly didn't grow fast at all and only got to below medium size really no matter how much food he consumed. I love the colouration of the Leopard Spots.

Heya mitch

That is definately not the same as our Leopard spot that we had... alot different, and our Leopard didn't have the sail type fin and also his spots were alot smaller and placed differently, and the colouration of spots was metallic more so... maybe there are different variants of.. I am not overly sure with the bigger species plecs that come in, some are wrongly named etc Our guy was very very slow growing tho and even to this day isn't a big plec.

What a lovely Plec tho, very chunky like :)

my book is from Mills and Lambert (who ever they may be) GLYPTOPERICHYS GIBBICEPS Spotted sailfin pleco; leopard pleco.

A very large and robust suckermouth catfish. The body and fins are reddish-brown, overlaid with black spots. Both dorsl and caudal fins are large, rounded, and sail-like,

It was not a baby when i got it. It is way larger than my 1 year old Male Bristlenose

th_009.jpg here is a closer look