some tank piccies

Kezza

thanks for that...really enjoying watching this hobby mature.....great time suck and a good way to give some lessons to the kids about life in general.

anyhoo....I have striped fry from the P.socolofi, L.caeruleus and L.trewavasae previously, but have also just let nature take it's course and let them spit in to the main tank....last Socolofi spawn in to the main tank yielded a good 10 or so survivors(?)....

chiclid7.jpg

also a few Redtop fry that amazingly enough made it thru the gauntlet and seem to be survivors swimming about in rubble as well.

I was expecting a much higher mortality rate and could easily get out of hand if the current trends continue....in a month or so I'll break down the tank and get rid of all but the mature adults...agaaaaaiiiiiiiin!.....it's a mixed tank obviously and can't be 100% on perantage, so might just turn them in to tucker for the adults or send them down the porcelain roller coaster rather than chancing mixed breeding by adopting them out....would like to see them go to a good home or two - what do the experts reckon about the above?

Currently have the 3 Redtop females in a separate tank and will strip them out in a couple of weeks, but I just don't have the room to go the whole hog at the moment....would certainly like to in the future thou.

I like the idea of a male and female display tank but as I said before this might be getting out of control for the set up I have.....is there a way of ensuring they wont bred?....fish contraception?

still pretty newb at all this!

All of the above fish will cross breed :)

However crosses will be very obvious if you grow them up until they start showing colour, if they don't colour up like the parents just dispose of them.. Obviously your tank isn't an ideal setup for trying to breed but if you grew them out and were ruthless with any crosses then it would work :) Those red tops look awesome it would be great if you bred some pure ones of them and passed them around..

all good mate....the mating rituals have been very species specific but I've never seen the actual money-shot as it were......will defo see what comes of the 3 x females Redtops that are currently holding and will certainly make them available to anyone that wants some....what sort of age do you think I could grow fry up to in a 32lt "neon" tank.....I've had 15 or so P.socolofi go to about 3months with regular water changes without incident....should I be able to tell beyond reasonable doubt in that time frame if they are mixed or pures?

might try and squeeze in a 100lt tank somewhere....I see this is a very steep and slippery slope!

I would go with the 100L 32L is really only good for a few month's it is very easy for waste to build up and fish to stop growing..

The hybrids are my only concern but you have some awesome fish, that ice blue is a beauty and very nice pic's lol I regret getting rid of mine until I think of the terror they caused in my tank :)

To check if they're pure I would be growing them till at least 4-5cm's.. If you were considering a 100L tank as an extra I would recommend removing one species of fish to it, breed a few batch's stick them in the 32L tank, remove another batch of fish breed them in the 100L then stick them in the 32L tank then transfer all babies to the 100L to grow out then your guarantee'd they're pure :)