Advice Needed

si_sphinx

Does anyone know if convicts, jags and oscars can go together in the same tank :-?

I know oscars and jags are good but i thought that convicts have a similar temperament and they are all around the same size 6-8cm.

But I just got to get a new tank first.

Anyone have an idea on what size tank would be best for these fish?

I was thinking 1200x600x600

Also would it be better/cheaper/easier to buy or make the tank?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :hail:

If the tank is big enough they could live together. Just remember a male jag can get to 40cm+ and would probably want a 1200x600x600 tank just for himself at that size. A female jag, an oscar and a male convict would probably be alright in that tank if it was well filtered.

Does anyone know if convicts, jags and oscars can go together in the same tank :-?

I know oscars and jags are good but i thought that convicts have a similar temperament and they are all around the same size 6-8cm.

But I just got to get a new tank first.

Anyone have an idea on what size tank would be best for these fish?

I was thinking 1200x600x600 I got a tank this size last week off TM for$100.00

Also would it be better/cheaper/easier to buy or make the tank?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :hail:

How many of each fish do you have?

And also, what size tank are you planning to put these fellows in long term? Ideally they should be in a large tank now, to get good growth and to have enough room to feel comfortable within each others space...

Glass divider is a good idea, we saw a good way at a certain persons place... with a glass divider slid down the middle of the tank, with filter hosing cut in half and cupped around the glass edge, so it slides in nicely, holds firmly and leaves a small gap in sides and bottom but enough for the water to pass nicely.

I'm trying :)

But I'm a student with minimal funds :D so i"m doing my best to save.

Managed to get someone to make the tank for me for $100 so just got to get him some glass for him.

Then ill be set 8)

:o Get the glass and make the tank yourself! lol You should be able to get a 5ft for $200 even down there just keep your ears and ears out.. Hate to say it but you probably should never have this fish unless you have the right sized tank or the ability to upgrade im glad your motivated to do it while the fish are young :)

Yea i know i shouldn't have them but as soon as the pet shop gets them in they are gone so you got to get in quick and they are an awesome fish.

And its hard to get good fish down here.

All cichlids are awesome. can't wait to finish my studies to earn some proper money to upgrade my tanks 8)

Ive been looking for a tank but know one has any for sale anywhere.

is there even people around as young as me into this hobby? :-?

Thanks for all your help guys and gals :)

thats cool, I'm 19.

good to know I'm not the only 1 my age :D

I was feeling a bit alone lol

Knoooowne down here is into it thats for sure,

I only just start with cichlids this year in march tho, something to keep me entertained while studying but turned into more of an obsession if you know what i mean :wink:

Big plastic troughs from farming places can be cheap substitutes for large tanks.

I'm not sure if you've ever kept big fish before, but a 4'x2'x2' isn't big enough for the fish you've listed. Get rid of the female convict now before you have more babies than you know what to do with. If either the oscars or the jags pair up and decide to breed it will be game over for what ever else is in the tank, so you should be prepared to separate them.

Male jags can get to over 40cm, and will eventually need something bigger than 4'x2'x2'. They're also more aggressive than the average oscar, so you'll need to watch them and be prepared to remove one or the other if they don't get on later on.

Yes im prepared to seperate if need be but thats a year or 2 away yet until they get that big.

i don't mind if the convicts breed as its good tucker for everyone else if they get too outa hand :D

or i can off load them at the pet shop if they will have them.

If anyone heres of a good tank for sale let me know.

Cheers.