Hand in hand Question

ChrisMack

Interesting post this one, I'm currently also working on a new tank, and have an external filter to intall as well.....now that there are several ideas for the spraybar/water outlet......i would like to know peoples opinions on the uplift tube......

What depth does the uplift tube have to be placed at in the tank?

heres why I'm asking......I'm hoping that the tank I'm setting up will look as natural as possible, with not too much visible "parts" visible inside the tank. (the main problem will be the heater!)

So to 'hide' the uplift tube I have a piece of bogwood to place in front of it(this wont effect the flow), however to have it hidden better the end of the uplift tube will be just below the half way of the tank.....will this be sufficient, or are they better off positioned as low as possible in the tank?

Thanks for any suggestions,

ChrisMack

Assuming you have just the standard airstone running the uplift, then you want it as tall as possible, up to the surface of the water if possible. With a powerhead...Tall enough to connect the powerhead is fine.

most authorities i've read have mentioned 5cm above substrate as optimum position for internal or external filter intake...

i guess it depends on other fixtures in the tank, such as airstones, which would assist in water movement?

as for reducing visible equipment in the tank here here! :D i've noticed 'inline heaters' which connect to external filter plumbing are beginning to appear on trademe, although i've not yet seen them in local retail shops.. they are available online from america at around USD 25.00.

i won't hijack this post with a discussion on inline heaters, so will start a new post.. would like to hear anyones experiences or information about local availability.. please reply to my new post.

henry