Binge eating fish

myxsptlk

Is this normal? I just got a little wrasse and today was the first time I fed it frozen food, might have put in a bit too much but it starting gobbling everything like mad then after awhile just lay there not moving and sort of breathing heavily. I thought oh no I've killed the little guy but after awhile he started swimming, slowly but getting better. Should I not feed him for the next couple days? Do marine fish overeat and die like goldfish? Thanks guys

I am not sure that you have a correct diagnosis. From the symptoms described I wouldn't imagine the wrasse had over eaten but there was another problem. perhaps it is just because it is new to the tank. Keep an eye on it

he was swimming happily before i fed him, everything seemed okay till after feeding time. An aptaisia got hold of some of his food and he tried to get it back then sorta jumped back. I guess he got stung? Could that have caused it? I know I should've gotten rid of the aptaisia :oops:

Do marine fish overeat and die like goldfish? Thanks guys

Generally no, in the wild they will sometimes happen upon more than they can eat and of course they can handle that experience.

Re the goldfish, dieing from overeating is actually dieing from polluted water from too much food getting put in, far as i know. When I had goldfish if i put too much food in they would eat what they could then the rest would just lay around in the tank but the goldfish did not suffer from overeating long as the water was kept clean.