2001 FNZAS Conference

cees

I was not at this years conference unfortunately.

So, those of you that went, let's hear it. What happened!!?

This could/should be a long thread :smile:

[ This message was edited by: Cees on 2001-06-05 08:01 ]

• 2 weeks later...

Conference was fun and interesting as usual Cees.

Held in Hamilton (so we were told but it was hard to tell in the thick fog :grin: )the local club did an excellent job. They held a limited class Fish Show at the same time which doubled their workload but was well supported with entries. Nice to see a good number of entries in the photo competition too.

I am trying to remember the order of things as we continued on for a 2 week holiday (our first in 6 years) and I am now so relaxed and laid back I just fell over :cool:

Friday night was registration and the usual get-together.

Saturday had guest speaker Franz van Oorschot give an interesting talk on plants and their requirements followed by a lot of questions and answers.

After a nice morning tea the AGM started. I am sure full details will be given in the next NZ Aquarium World magazine. This magazine now has a new editor, Roy Jessett.

The video competition was judged by those present and what beautiful tanks were filmed!Warren's winning tank was stunning.

Late afternoon saw John Sutton run a Judging School for those interested then we had a buffet dinner with raffles and spot prizes.I think this was also where I heard John Eastwood's hilarious joke about the choir in the lunatic asylum.Those of you who missed it will never know the significance of the pencils, or the apples.

Sunday morning saw those who had entered the poster competition give a run-down on their posters and gave viewers an opportunity to ask questions.

We then headed off into the fog to "see" the sights of Hamilton. We were given an interesting guided tour of the Hamilton Gardens and a delicious lunch at their pavilion.

The afternoon saw us headed for the Ruakura Research Centre's noxious plant unit where members were warned to keep their hands in their pockets and out of the water :smile:

We got to see a number of noxious plants and were told why they were banned and the damage they did to our waterways. Didn't see any GE cows anywhere either.

There was some spare time late in the afternoon and a number of members took the opportunity to visit a few local tanks and pet shops while others sneaked off to the Cat Show.

That evening we had dinner at the local Cosmopolitan Club and the Fish Show winners were presented with their trophies and certificates.

Sunday was auction time and there was plenty on offer going for good prices. We had to leave at this stage so I can't tell you about the rest of the morning.I thoroughly recommend conference to everyone as you always learn so much and go home with new ideas or renewed enthusiasm.Thanks Dave and the Waikato Club for a great weekend.

Next year's conference will be held in the new aquarium at Napier.

Thanks Caryl

wish I'd been there.

Photos anyone ???

Posters to put on this site, volunteers???

I'll do the html for those who can't do it themselves or you could submit using submit news button or even better email me html with pics etc and I will make it a nice page on this site.

Cees,

I know that Peter Sebborn ([email protected]) and Kelly Rennell took photos at the FNZAS conference. Both will probably claim to not have anything worth posting but I'm inclined to disagree...

Caryl et al weren't without a camera either...

It may be worth bugging them specifically,

I know Peter is yet to start visiting this site.

Andrew.

We do have photos from conference and will put them on the web as soon as possible. We got home after a 2 week break to find our computer's hard drive had died of loneliness. Grant is slowly installing everything again but, as usual, everyone else's computer problems get fixed before our own :sad:

As soon as the appropriate programmes are re-loaded, I will make sure the photos are available.