i want a bare bottom

wilson

so ive been told that bare bottom tanks are good because stuff dosnt get stuck in the sand........

i like the look of a tank with sand but as i olny have about 5 months before i pull down my tank

so i thought ill try a bb and see how it gos

so what will be the best way to reove the sand

what do i do with my corals that i have sitting in the sand (bubbles corals etc)

Watch out, someone might smack that bare bottom!

I take it ur off to Otagomogo then?

I'm guessing a decent sized syphon would work for the exposed sand, but you'd be needing to remove the rocks to get any thats under there.

Someone else on here prob has a better idea

I just syphoned mine out using a normal syphon hose. I think syphoning is the best option (with-out pulling the whole tank apart) because you don't stir up the dirty sand as you remove it. You will have to do it a few times because of the sand under rocks that will work it's way out, plus it pays not remove it all at once, just because it is a big change to the tank.

Some corals such as trachyphyllia type brains do best in sand. Your bubble will be fine though. What I do with corals that should be on the bottom, is mount them on a bit of quick setting cement so there is a flat bottom and they can sit on the bottom even without sand and be quite secure. Wouldn't do it with a trachyphyllia though.

Some things need sand and you need to consider this, for example when I went BB I had to sell my beautiful H. Malu anemone because they are a sand burrowing anemone that would not be happy in a BB tank.

i do have a small anemone that was labled Sand anemone its atached to the glass under the sand ill try to get a photo of it

can you give me some more info on the "quick setting cement" like where to get it and what brand to use .....

The stuff I use comes from the building supply store, Bunnings Warehouse. You can buy a 25 kg bag of quick setting cement which sets in 15 minutes, for about 14 bucks. It's used for setting fence posts and similar that you want to set quick.

I put it through my wife's kitchen sieve to get rid of the stones, and what you get is an excellent and cheap coral cement.

thanks wasp

the tank looks alot brighter with no sand (im guessing the light will bounce off the glass)

i still missed a bit of sand that was under rocks and stuff but ill get that next weekend when i do a water change