What is this Syno?

Dixon1990

YOUR QUESTION:

Not a PICTUS!!!! You have been told its not, and its not!

It is a synodontis catfish from African(not sure what species though) ,Definately not a Pictus from the family pimelodus.

Take my advice and Change the auction name to something like- Synodontis-Unknown Species.

SELLER'S ANSWER:

YOU ARE WRONG THIS FISH WAS BOUGHT AS A PICTUS CATFISH FROM LOWER HUTT PET CENTRE FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER WHOM IS PROBABLY ALOT MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN YOU AS HE HAS BEEN IN THE TRADE IN CLUBS AND RETAIL FOR PROBABLY 40 YEARS ,YOU HAVE NOT EVEN SEEN IT EXCEPT FOR THE PHOTO AS YOU SAID YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS THIS IS THE 2ND PICTUS CATFISH I HAVE HAD I HAVE BEEN IN FISH CLUBS FOR MANY YEARS YOU WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PURCHASE THIS FISH OR SIMALAR ANY CHEAPER SO GO AWAY

The ultimate problem with any Auction- So buyer beware.

Any redress you may have in a retail situation is thrown out the window with an Auction.

A pictus will get to about 5-6 inches in captivity, the bodyshape is wrong, you are correct Dixon in your Summation as it being a hybrid Syno.

There have been a few syno's incorrectly labelled on TM in the last little while.

Two have been labelled as networks as they look similar. Yet a network will reach 10-12cm and the ones for sale were closer to 20cm. Most probable Syno Hybrid species#3- so common is the fish it has a designated name, But!! that name isn't a network any more than this fish is a pictus.

What to do?

Nothing!!-don't buy it and let the ostriches play together.

More concerned about the person thats buying, THey could be a beginner that wants a pictus.

Point taken.

my comment for what it is worth.

Sorry but I have to side with the growing Consensus. A pictus would not reach the size of your fish, yet it's maxillary barbels would be far longer. The leading ray on its dorsal fin would be strraight, and the fin would be transperent. The adipose fin would not be rounded and the body shape would be longer and with horizontal line running the length of its side. there have no accounts of captive breeding anywhere, so the chance that it is even 1/2 pictus is zero. Hybrid synodontis