Chris's marine tank (pics start on page 4)

cichlid7

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as long as there is decent current, and the rock is properly cured, you shouldn't have any issues.

Just keep an eye on salinity, NZ seawater is already around 1.028, whereas the ideal for a reef tank is around 1.025. So just make sure it doesn't creep even higher with evaporation, or even add some fresh water to it to bring it to 1.025, you'll need to add about 10% fresh water to do that.

Don't want to get too technical at this stage, but in a reef tank it can help to have alkalinity a little higher than seawater levels, and this can be done by adding baking soda (NOT baking powder). This can be done, at this stage, by dissolving some baking soda in the fresh water, when you add it. For starters, dissolve a heaped teaspoon baking soda for each 100 litres of water in the tank. You can add more again later but would pay to get a test kit before adding a second round.

I've got a book here and just want to make sure these are right

pH - 8.3

KH - 9 - 12 dKH

Calcium - 420mg/L

Phosphate - 0Img/L

Ammonia - 0mg/L

Nitrite - 0mg/L

Nitrate - less than 3mg/L

Yes that's more or less right but doesn't have to be adhered to exactly.

Here is what I would consider a safe range

pH 7.8 to 8.5

kH 6.5 to 12

calcium 360 to 450

phosphate 0.0 but depends how it's measured

ammonia 0.0

nitrite 0.0

nitrate less than 40, but depends what you are keeping, but less, to zero, is best.

how do i tell what it is?

You need a salinity tester. But for now, if it's new seawater that has not had any evaporation, assume the salinity is 1.028, and add 10% fresh water to bring it to around 1.025. Then draw a line on the tank and if it evaporates add more fresh water. But longer term you will need a salinity tester.

There are 3 types available:-

1. a swing arm hydrometer. These are rubbish, don't buy one.

1. a floating hydrometer, give consistent and accurate readings but a little hard to read.

3. a looking glass hydrometer which you put a drop or two of water in, then look through like a telescope & you can see the reading. These are the best but will cost something around a hundred bucks.

OK - some good coraline algae (the purple stuff), but also a few pests to get rid of before you go much further.

In the first picture you can see some bottle green spheres - these are Valonia - a form of green algae that can become a real problem (although they are interesting in that they are the largest single celled organism (I think)). Turn you pumps off and pluck them off like grapes - don't squeeze them too hard or they will pop and release spores. Use tweezers gently on the little ones.

The fourth picture showns aptasia - those little brown anemones. They are a real curse and will cause you no end of problems if you don't eradicate them. They sting other corals and grow at plague proportions. There are a million different cures, but basically you need to kill them in situ - if you cut them, squash them, etc. then new ones will grow from whatever tissue remains. The cheapest option is to squirt them with boiling water (cook them), but that causes quite a bit of collateral damage (it will kill the good coraline algae). The best but most expensive option is 'Joe's Juice', which you feed them as per the instructions. I have a 100% kill rate using that (on all of the three aiptasia I've ever had :lol: )

Deal with these now and then you can get on with developing your tank - if you ignore them they will become a constant hassle Have fun! :wink:

John will have it, but its $25-$30 for a little bottle - then again you don't need much. There are some home recipes for it, but buying it premixed saves a lot of hassle and will work. I light my tanks for 13 hours a day, although the recommendation is usually 12 hours (being an Equatorial biotype 'n all).