Where to collect water?

kithrup

Hi ,

I've been learning a bucket load about fish keeping in the few months I've been reading these pages.

I was wondering what the best place to collect unpolluted sea water in the Christchurch area is. Also is this dependant upon tide, wind direction etc....?

Any advice appreciated.

I personally don't use natural sea water. Much easier to just by salt mix from the shops. I've never really been sure of a place where i would feel comfortable collecting NSW around here anyway. Lyttelton harbour is too dirty, sumner is dodgey with the estuary, so probable the safest place would be from New Brighton north.

Layton

Hi Thewre,

I Have PM you an article by pies on NSW, you should have no problems collecting as long as you do some research and make sure you are not collecting by sewage or farm run-off.

We collect at Takapuna on Auckland North Shore, built up area but otherwise we find it OK, again no sewage or other run-off on the bay and the north shore has good treatment plants. You never collect after heavy rain!!!!

Reefs thinks we are all mad :D:D:D

But we have great tanks and 20ltr drums or buckets from payless plastic ect are good cheap and water tight.

My new Company Car has a boot space of 340ltr...I must try that out :D:D:D

i got my last batch of NSW from arkle's bay on the hibiscus coast (close to where i live) i drove around all the beachs at whangaparoa checking out the tide, whether it was in an enclosed bay or whether the water appeared to turn over substantially, whether it had storm water outlet to the beach, etc. Arkles bay seemed to be the most open (subjected to good water movement from the rangitoto channel) plus had very very good access from the boat ramp (almost backed the boot into the sea!!) As mentioned earlier, perhaps we could get a list of good/easy access beaches for NSW?