Chocolate Gourami's

StarFish

http://www.fishdeals.com/anabantids/gou ... ourami.jpg

Hey,

Thought I would ask if anyone has or has had chocolate gouramis, and if so where did you get them from?

We had some in the UK, found them quite hard to keep, but would love to give it a try again, as they are just beautiful little fish.

Mind you there are plenty of fish I would love to have again :lol:

Just wanting to know how available they are as they didnt seem to be a common fish over there either.

:D

Bought 6, Have only one left now.. they are hard to keep. but I now know why.

I will be doing it this way the next time I can get some of these...

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/blog.php?blogid=151

I got mine from Jansens in Henderson the last time (sadly they have non at the moment) and I have also had some from Hollywood Fish Farm. So they are around, they just very rarely get them in, maybe once or twice a year..

Cheers

Wayne

Thanks for that link it was really inetersting, biotope is the way to go as far as keeping these delicate little fish.

When we had them we kept them in a low lit darkish tank with peat at the bottom of the tank and they seemed to do fine for about a couple of weeks but then they just ended up dying and we couldnt figure it out, I cant remember the stats of the tank now, but possibly it was because the water just wasnt soft enough, I think it probably was around a pH of 6.0 and thats still probably too high , even though its advised between 4 - 6.5 I would be verging on 5.5 if not lower at a guess.

Also quite interesting to learn they come from nutrient poor water.

Thanks! :bow:

We have one, did have two, but the male was too picky about what he ate for his own good.

So our female is desperately seeking a new man. Unfortunately they have not been on the lists for a while, and only seem to appear once or twice a year, as Wayneh says.

I think with them being so delicate that the importers and LFS loose quite a few before they even get sold, so probably not a good money spinner for them.

I love George Farmers tanks, I was trying to do some research to see if there were any Indian Almond trees in NZ, but didn't get very far.

Wayneh, is yours a male or female?

• 3 weeks later...

I had 3 in a 60L tank, never had any major issues with them and they even spawned at one stage. Although I tried to up the numbers to 5 but the new ones kept dying.

I had a 500L/H canister filter, driftwood, lots of plants, peat in the filter... Weekly 1/3 water changes. Nothing too flash.

They shared it with 2 honey dwarf gourami, 5 black neons, a bristlenose and a peppered cory at different points and got on fine with them all. The big female chockie did like to chase the dwarf honey's though.

Wow, did not see your question until today, sorry.

Mine was a male, unfortunately he did not make it and I now have none left, I am still keeping an eye out for them and plan to try again if I see them in the LFS again.

Trying something different for the interim, I now have 2 Flame red dwarf gaurami's and several dwarf honey gourami's which I am trying to get to breed.

Cheers

Wayne