My blackmore has a white eye?

Cookieskennels

Hi there Cookieskennels,

Could be an eye infection.. or have been caused by a bump of some sort... as often when surprised .. or being hassled by other fish.... a fish will dart around and bang into the tank side... or rocks and ornaments... which often results in a cloudy eye... and sometimes blindness.

Poor Water Conditions can also be the cause.... but we will rule this out for the time being.

Suggest you try the "Progressive Salt Treatment"... (PST)

Get yourself a container that will hold around a gallon of water (4.5ltrs app)

Also get some SEA SALT from the Supermarket... (Blue Bag... real cheap)

DON'T use table salt... it just ain't worth it.

Fill the container with about 4ltrs of water... and add two good table spoons of sea salt.

Mix thoroughly until no signs of the salt can be seen.... An Air Stone will help here.

Once mixed... Turn off the air just in case some of the bubbles get trapped in the eye... as I have no way of knowing it's condition.

Place the fish in the container and watch for any signs of undue stress.

It may rush around a bit... but this is pretty normal.

Watch the fish until it settles down.

Leave in this solution for up to a half hour... or longer if it seems happy.

The salt mix will do it absolutely no harm... so don't be concerned.

Return the fish to it's normal quarters and empty the container and give it a good rinse out.

Here comes the "Progressive bit"

Repeat this each day until some improvement is seen... possibly take three days only.

DON'T use the same mix... Start fresh each day

OK... What are you doing...?

This salt mix will strip the old mucus off the fish and promote new mucus (slime) growth... and will "hopefully" remove the film covering the eye.

I have had fish with their eyeballs hanging out... with very little hope... but the PST works nine out of ten times.

Ripped and eaten fins will quickly grow back using this treatment.. and it will also repair open wounds... scale loss... and mucus loss caused by fighting or accidental damage... and is also good as a general tonic if your fish look a bit lathargic or run down.

The new mucus layer... (which all fish depend on)... will help ward off illness and parasitic infections... as fish are easily attacked by parasites when they are out of condition or run down a bit... or even under stress.

You can increase the salt slightly each day if needed... as they can tollerate quite high levels for short periods.

Take note...

The above is for Goldies and most cold water fish... but avoid using on any Catfish.. and check first before using on some tropicals... but most general fish... other than Catfish will cope with the PST.

I bred Angels for years.. and due to lack of spce I left the fry in with the parents for around six weeks..... during which time the had eaten both the top and bottom fin COMPLETELY off the female.. so it looked more like a Discus than an Angel.

It always had a deformed top fin this particular fish... and it took six weeks for the fins to fully grow back... but they were beautiful fins... not a mark on them.. and far better than the originals. The Male was not as bad... but he too got a week or two of the PST.

They went on to give many more broods after this... so NEVER give up hope.

Always watch your fish during treatment until you are sure it is happy with the conditions.

Take care now...

Bill.