Dark Lumps on Neons

fishychick

Hi All,

Have been noticing lumps and bumps on my neons over the last couple of months. They seem to start around the base of the tail fin and are a dark (almost black) colour. More recently I have noticed them around the mouths and front fins. Out of 8 neons 5 are affected. I think I read somewhere that black lumps in fish are usually cancer, but am starting to think that would be unusual to have such a large percentage affected? Or did I just get a "bad batch"? (they were all bought at the same time - about a year ago)

They don't seem to be distressed, are swimming and eating quite happily and normally. I can't remember when I first noticed it - would have been maybe november? Admittedly the one I first noticed with these black bits is the worst affected - major tumour type lumps around base of tail, base of one front fin has started getting lumpy recently, and mouth area has gone dark, but no lumps - mouth doesn't seem to shut completely tho.

I am not inclined to euthenase him - as I said he's eating, swimming with his mates, seems happy. Any thoughts? :(

Dixon - how long did yours live after you first noticed? a coincidence your situation and mine both occurring about the same time! ... I see you are in Christchurch - mine came from Invers; what are the chances they are from the same genetic group? are there many suppliers in the south island?

Caryl - thanks for that; good to hear from a fellow Pratchett fan! :D

Karen