Opinions please...

Kezza

ok this is what Ive got in my display tank and need some advice/opinions about what I could/should do now that the fish are growing up and their 400lt tank is starting to feel a little "over crowded", although there doesn't appear to be any major conflicts and zero mortality (apart from a bunch of lemming style demosoni that tried to liberate themselves from the tank...grrrr....) and there is plenty of love going on with female socolofi and e.yellows holding regularly...basically I'd like to know what you guys and gals would recommend.

I do like the idea of having mixed sexes in the tank rather than all male

anyhoo....take it away please.....

trewavasae (Redtop) - 3m / 3f - 6cms

caeruleus (E.Yellows) - 2m / 4f - 6cms

greshakei (Ice Blue) - 7 - 5cms (hard to sex - any clues?)

demasoni - 1m / 1f - 3cms (had more but they seem to like jumping out of the tanks - stoopid fish)

Socolofi - 2m / 4f - 6cms

Socolofi - 3m / 3f - 2cm (juveniles from a successful spawn)

borleyi (Kadango) - 3m / 3f - 6cms

In my daughters 32lt tank

OB Peacock (Hybrid) - 15 fry - 1 cm

Depending on advise I receive, I except there might be a few spare cichlids looking for new homes.

6-1.jpg

Hi

I don't often see the trewavasae for sale maybe hold on to them or bring them around for me LOL :roll:

Not bad m/f ratios. The Ice blue can be tricky I had a few females that were very blue! Was sure they were males until they had a mouth full.

All males sounds like the way to go if you are not wanting to breed.

thanks for that and you would be more than welcome to any excess trewavasae as they become available.....at this stage I would be keen to move 2 of the males if you are keen?....I'm planning on having a sort out over this coming weekend...got space?....lol

hi

At the moment id only worry about the greshakei as the males get aggressive when they want to breed. The Red Tops and Demasoni's might get abit stressed.

Your borleyi are a way off yet but later down the track say 1-2years they get very big and tend to get GRUMPY. Must be a old age thing. My young ones arnt bad even when breeding but the older males just a pain.

Cool tank :)

Sounds like a good mix :) However I agree with Mike as I first suggested watch the ice blues I used to sell alot of them and kept in touch with people only to find they got rehomed as they smashed everything in tanks even upto 6ft.. I recently sold all of mine as I got sick of the aggression and nothing else breeding successfully.

I have to echo Johannes ill happily take a trio of the red top trewvassae I would like to see these guys more avaliable :) Wish id brought some when they were on the lists!

Also your doing bloody well to sex 2cm socolofi? I cant sex mine and they're 6-7cm's its only when I see one of my "males" holding do I know lol

You will also most likely end up with one dem if you only have 2 of them, they are pretty agro I have done alot of research on them and I even attempted to try and keep 6 and ended up with 1 guess that worked out well to have a big spare male as I added it with another 12 from a different source to get a better gene pull. If you only have 2 your probably not too worried if you loose one.

I have an older pair of kadango's and they're push overs so who knows there, they will become the biggest in your tank and they're not in my tank maybe thats the difference, you will probably be ok as you have a heap of their own kind to smash up before your others get it.

sweet as Ryan...thanks for taking the time!!

so it seems I should get rid of everything but the Redtops and retire on the profits?.... :roll:

re: the 2cm socolofis'....you are quite right I may have it wrong but there is a distinct difference in appearance (both in colouration and anal fin edging) ....3 of them look exactly like their dad and 3 look like their mother?....that is what I was going on.

lol no you should sell the red tops me me and johannes :) and we will live off the millions we make off them.. Yeah right! I would give them their own tank so there no chance of crossing and breed a few batches pass some on if I was you.

I hope your enjoying your tank now everything is growing up :)

lol no you should sell the red tops me me and johannes :) and we will live off the millions we make off them.. Yeah right! I would give them their own tank so there no chance of crossing and breed a few batches pass some on if I was you.

I hope your enjoying your tank now everything is growing up :)

I don't mind happy to put a male into the 8f tank for display :roll: When our clients come over and purchase fish, See your male I can send them to you at a Advertisement cost LOL :lol:

just wanted to say "thanks" to Tropheus for taking time out to show me his set up today...awesome doesn't really describe it....certainly something to strive for.

Cheers Mike!

PS...hope that Redtop male delivers the goods for you!