Newts - colour morphs?

Insect Direct

Anyone have any differant looking newts, any pics/for sale please let me know!

Info on whats available in nz maybe?

I appear to have a pair of newts that have gone this browny colour, looks healthy, & the other newts from a differant source in that tank are the normal dark colour, will try get pics in next day or 2, just curious to whats out there!

I don't know if there are any colour morphs out there. I've had one of my babies this year come through with spots all over so will be keeping it to see if they remain as it gets older. Never had it before and I've had hundreds of babies so it would be exciting. This is in the Chinese variety. Too small to take photos but will definately be taking them later on if the spots stay.

I have the Japanese and Chinese varieties, as far as I know these are the only species of newts available in NZ. Would love to hear about others if there are any. Dantezgirl best to give the species name rather than the common for identifying as that way you'll know for sure if they're different. :lol:

I've had one of my babies this year come through with spots all over so will be keeping it to see if they remain as it gets older

Kool should be interesting to see how it turns out.

These 2 ive got looked like plain old chinese newts but over the last 3-4 months (reaching maturity) ive noticed the change in colour, it seems to be a lite brown somedays and others it looks almost normal?

could it just be breeding colours?

Rebecca do your chinese newts change colour at all when in season?

Looking good, are these the young ones that you got off me? If so they're looking great. :P My spotty one looks a little like the one in the picture but he's a dark brown, not so pale. I've found with the babies that the colour varies on things like how much light the tank's getting, the type of food fed and stress (ie being chased by a bigger, greedy sibling :o ). I've seen young ones that had been raised on lots of whiteworm and they were very pale in comparison to mine, I advised the owner to put some frozen bloodworm in their diet and they coloured up in a few months so maybe some of it is diet related? Don't really know the answers and suspect there's not many people researching it, maybe google the subject to see if you can get more answers that way, certainly got me thinking now.

Nope i dont really wanna say it but i lost/killed ALL the newts i got off you :oops: (left out in sun when moving house) :oops:, not sure how my mate got on with his lot!

and then another couple of slightly older jap newts dammit, anyway live an learn

the chinese newts i have now (4 of them) came from sumwhere up north, but from 2 differant sources, 1 from a chick on here (mel?) 1 on trademe so very well could be from yours, in saying that i do remember 1 of the ppl that i got mine off said somthing about getn them from a big chain petshop up there?

I havent fed whiteworms in ages cant get em breeding that well, bloodworms is the main thing i feed atm & a few mossie larvae/daphnia every so often!

OMG you cooked the newts :o I'll bet you felt terrible about that one! Glad the others are doing well anyway. I've got loads of babies at the moment, very cool watching them growing up and the changing. I think it sounds like the ones you've got may be from my lines anyway. Good luck with these ones.