fish question

Aaron

ok was just wondering how oftern swordtails breed as my female sword looks prego again she just had fry like 4weeks ago i thought that she might have bloat but i dont really feed them that much was also considering stoping for a few days to see if she goes down.

thoughts ppl.

Aaron, MOST livebearers are pregnant ALL the time if there is a male with them.

Even at times when no male is available, she can give birth 4 or 5 times before emptying out.

About 4 weeks would be right for her to have her next lot.

Alan

ok so i got a small fish net breeder and sure enough this after noon she gave birth, so now i have most of the fry in the breeder and theres about 25 of the little rascals......oh what am i gonna do with them all :o

The trouble using a breeder net like you have, can create a position where she will abort or stress excessively.

With yours having hers so soon after being put into the trap, I'd almost bet on it that they are premature, or else you are extremely lucky to have timed it that way.

The way to go is to have a spare tank to put her into, so she is not stressed, put her in approx a week before she is due. Floating plants and java moss for baby security.

Give her a break of a week before putting her back with her mates.

MTS coming up. :wink:

Alan

well heres what happened she had them all before i could get her into the net so shes still in with the community, and theres bout 30 now i just fish them out as i see them and put them into the breeder so i have only seperated the fry not the female