Black dots on Zebra

MarkLB

Hi all. I have noticed black spots on my Metriaclima Estherae ( Red Zebra)

He is eating and behaving normally and none of his tank mates have it.

The tank is 450 litres and his roomies are 2 X E. Yellows, 6 x Peacocks, 3 X Cobalts, 1 X Melanochromis takeaguess.

Ammonia 0.00ppm

Nitrite 0.00ppm

Nitrate 20.00ppm

30-40% weekly water change due tomorrow.

DottyZeb.jpg

Any diagnosis? Should I isolate him?

i bet you have changed foods in the last week or so? I had the same & narrowed it down to the feed that contained spirulina in it. it will get worse then take a few weeks to go once you stop feeding that food. IME it doesn't do any harm, just discolours them a little.

:D Yeah. I did. I changed from a Tetramin product to a Wardley product. The Tetramin has no spirulina but the Wardley does.

:bow: Thanks smidey.

no problem, thats what this forum is about. I feed my africans JBL NovoVert, sushi wrap on a regular basis & bloodworms once every weekend & they thrive.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, a bit of topic but I have a question since that last picture is so clear.

You said this is a red zebra. I've been doing a bit of reading on them. What are those "spots" on his fin called? Do all red zebras have them?

Do you find them to be an aggressive fish?

Caper

darn, double post again, sorry mods, please remove...OHHHHH HATE WHEN COMPUTER DOES THIS :evil:

Mark, a bit of topic but I have a question since that last picture is so clear.

You said this is a red zebra. I've been doing a bit of reading on them. What are those "spots" on his fin called? Do all red zebras have them?

Caper

Hi Caper,

What are those "spots" on his fin called? Do all red zebras have them?

The spots are called 'Egg spots'. I believe most Zebras, of any colour, have them and its more dominant in male fish. During spawning the female lays eggs then picks them up in her mouth. She trys to pick up the egg spots on the male and gets milt in her mouth instead....thus fertilising the eggs.

They can be aggresive enough to hold their own in a Malawi species tank but not bullyish, at least mines not.

Hi smidey

i think it is the spirulina that causes it so it may get worse & not get any better if you continue to feed that.

All the stuff I've read about NLS says that it enhances the colour of fish and nothing has been mentioned about spirulina causing any grief. I'll keep this thread updated with pics......we'll soon know one way or the other. :D:D

Where did you get him from? :o

I got him when he was 15-20mm from a private breeder here in ChCh. She was only prepared to sell me the one because my mate had just bought 4 and she didn't have many left. She no longer breeds :( but it's all good though because my mate has now got juveniles and I'm swapping some of my Cobalt juvies for his Reds :D 8)

My females are bright yellow but males are a cool pink colour with blue tinges I think its just breeding, some strains are actually red not orange but haven't seen any of them around :(

Good luck with the experiment Mark and keep us posted its something ive seen come and go on my fish also :)

Thanks Mark :bow::bow:

She trys to pick up the egg spots on the male and gets milt in her mouth instead....thus fertilising the eggs.

That IS funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm still a long way off from setting up my 55 gallon so still debating on cichlids or not. Read in one spot that they weren't considered to be really aggressive fish, although I know each fish can be different.

The ones they sell here, well they are calling them red zebras, but it's Wal-Mart so who knows, they are definetely more orange than red!

Caper

• 4 weeks later...