Help please...

Jezza

Two Neons into the tank today and two lots of grass...

The fish seem to be happy and stick together very closely, are swimming fine and when I gave them a small feed they ate voraciously... Good sign..?

One of the plants the snails are massacring, its got steadily worse ever since I've purchased it, when should I give up on it..?

Thanks to all for the help again...

Jezza,

Have you tried asking in your lfs if they will sell you a snail eating fish? My lfs (Pupuke) is happy to sell Clown Loach and then trade them in for smaller ones when they outgrow a tank because other fish keepers want larger fish than are usually available. Clowns eat snails, as do Skunk Loach.

Just a thought. Obviously you want to get your tank cycled and running properly before adding too many fish.

I wouldn't give up entirely on any plant the snails are eating off. If you see snails, stick your hand in the tank and remove them for the time being. Plants recover well from being eaten, it's what happens in the wild and it's how they're designed. Obviously there will eventually come a point where they are unviable, but that should be fairly obvious as the brown/rotting parts will outweigh the healthy green parts and spread through the non-growing plant. If your plants are starting to go brown and not grow, trim the brown leaves off and add a small amount of Flourish Excel to encourage their growth and they will make a miraculous recovery.

Sorry, lf's..?

That plant was struggling before the snails appeared, should I prune the dying leaves..?

Feel free to come and grab the snails...

In a week or so I'm going to get a bristlenose see how the tank is after that...

LFS = local fish shop.

Yeah, prune dying leaves. Rotting leaves add to the pollution in the tank anyway, they aren't adding anything to the plant and aren't going to be eaten, so get rid.

Bristlenose are fantastic fish. They'll never stop eating the algae. Make sure there's a lump of wood in the tank for them as they need to rasp on that to keep their digestion motoring along properly.

Hello all,

My fish (Neon Tetras) have become quite aggressive toward each other over the last few days (I think from reading on the internet I have a male and female, not sure though) and dart at each other constantly...

Is this something I need to worry about..?

Will adding a few more fish over time reduce this..?

I'm being careful to not overfeed but is it possible I'm underfeeding leading to aggression..?

How's your ammonia?

I'm guessing your neons are quite small, how long has your tank been running? You probably could add at least 3 more neons, they do better in a school and the minimum I think is 5/6.

Just keep a check on your ammonia and do your regular water changes. Had to use the online converter (brain dead when it comes to metric) so your tank is roughly 10 gallons right?

Caper

Its 36L so just under 10 gallons... My tank has been running 3 1/2 weeks, 1 1/2 with fish...

I forgot to get to get a test kit but I've been doing a 10% water change every 3 - 4 days, the fish look fine and have a healthy appetite...

They just are darting at each other, I'll go get another 1 or 2 this weekend hopefully that will sort it out...

Relatively good cover I'm buying a bit more every time I go to the fish shop...

I think I'll go in, in a few days and buy more plants, a test kit and two more Neons after doing a 20% water change...

Hopefully that should sort them out a bit..?

Hi, sorry I haven't read this thread since I last posted on it. Squash the snails against the side of your tank - it reduces the population fairly fast.

While clown loaches will happily eat the snails they are suseptible to white spot. Neons are happiest in a minimum of 6.

• 2 weeks later...

Two more Neons in the tank and they seem even more aggressive than before... They are actually running into each other now and chasing each other at high speed around the whole tank... :oops:

Thoughts...?