Wellington water supply

Kelsta

Hi, just thought the fellow Wellingtonians out there might like to know that I got the latest drinking water supply test results from the WCC, and the pH is currently around7.6 - 7.9 depending on where you are.

We have goldfish who like it at a neutral 7, so this calls for some pH down, I think.

I emailed the WCC yesterday evening, and they sent me the report this morning - just done on the 5th of Feb. I was very impressed, and I guess you could do the same no matter where you live in NZ. Some of the things they test for I've never heard of and couldn't interpret the results if I tried, but I understand chlorine and pH...!

Thanks, over'n'out :)

what do you need to do to get that report? what email addres and is there any special subject heading etc? I've always wanted to know what comes out of my tap... I have tap water drip feeding my pond (ponds small, like 150L or so) and the fishies dont seem to mind but still, always good to know...

Hi Matthew

I initially just emailed the WCC at: [email protected], and they forwarded my query to:

Selina Zhang

Investigation & Design Engineer

Wellington Water Management Ltd

75 The Esplanade, Petone, Private Bag 39804, Wellington Mail Centre 5045

T: + 64 4 910 3806 • F: + 64 4 910 3801

E: [email protected]

W: www.capacity.net.nz

She emailed me back with the Analytical Report attached. I'm sure you could email her directly? I can't see any way to post an attachment on this site...

I was so impressed with their quick reply!

Caryl, OK thanks for the advice. I guess it does seem a bit silly to have to add something ALL the time as I doubt the pH of the tap water is going to change any time soon!

If you say the goldfish are fine with that pH then I'm happy. Afterall, they've been happily living in wgtn water for over a year now. :)

Sorry, forgot to metion, best let them know your suburb so they can give you the stats for the nearest pump houses/resevoir. The test results I have vary a bit between pumphouses. Unless they just give you the whole city - not sure I haven't looked at any of it except the Ngaio report - I'm supposed to be working after all!

Yep, although Broadmeadows could get theirs from the Johnsonville one? I'd have to speak to someone to actually find out where our water is coming from and what some of these test results mean. I'm certainly no scientist but I'm sure someone might take the time to explain a few of them in brief if one asked.

Sorry - LAST post on this I promise!

I just got a very helpful email back in addition to the report I got this morning. I've got no time to check out the link, but I'll paste the email below, and those who want to investigate further can. I don't want to be responsible for a flood of enquiries from fish keepers! :oops:

Here are the important bits of the email:

Greater Wellington Regional Council treats and supplies all the tap water used in Wellington (as well as Porirua and the Hutt Valley). We distribute to main reservoirs in each city; the city councils manage distribution from reservoirs to consumers.

The water supplied to Ngaio is typically a mix from two water sources and treatment plants: water from an aquifer beneath the Hutt Valley, treated at our Waterloo water treatment plant; and river water from the Wainuiomata and Orongorongo river catchments, treated at our Wainuiomata water treatment plant.

The water we supply is managed to meet the requirements of New Zealand's drinking water standards. The Waterloo plant has a Ministry of Health 'B' grading, while Wainuiomata has an 'A' grading. An analysis of chemical/mineral content of the treated water that we supply , at the point it leaves each of our treatment plants, is available for the year to June 2007 via the following link:

http://www.gw.govt.nz/section668.cfm

Although Ngaio's water is from two treatment plants, the level of content of each chemical/mineral is not greatly different between them, so it should give a fair indication of what's in the water you get through the tap at home.

The Wellington Aquarium and Water Garden Society may also be able to provide you with useful information:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/clubs/wellingto ... orporated/

One of their members had a similar enquiry some years ago. I seem to recall that some members collected untreated aquifer water for their fish, which is available from Hutt City Council's public tap at the corner of Buick and Jackson Streets in Petone.