Stripping

LoGaN

I like to wait to the girls have been holding for 2 weeks. At this stage the fry are free swimming enough & big enough to take baby brine shrimp.

I use a cotton bud or a matchstick. But not the tip end!!!

I use a container with water from the tank, Catch the female with a net, as quietly as possible, as the female can spit. place her in the container.

Hold her gently in one hand, in the water, then with the other hand i use the cotton bud to push down on her bottom jaw, causing her to open her mouth. The babies usually flow out of her mouth, you may have to rock her gently to encourage fry to come out. Once all fry are out I usually place her back into the main tank, others will place her into another seperate tank to condition her back up. Just see how healthy she is. With the fry I use ice cream containers that have been made into floating breeders traps, i empty the fry into the trap which is floating in the tank the female came from. Different water will shock the fry & can kill them.

Once you have done this once or twice you will find it very easy to do. :D I got a friend to strip the first female I had to hold, it is pretty simple to do.

There are another couple of ways to strip females but I like to use this one.

Hope this helps.

Frenchy :D

I wouldn't want to strip an African with whats running wild there :o

u strip mouthbrooders as some wont spit in a community tank, they know the fry will get eaten.

stripping increases the number of fry from each mouthfull.

also as the female dosent has to hold for so long she stays in better condition. :D

as for possible most cichlid breeders do it. oh stripping too.

Frenchy :D