Neons,in schools???

I-LOVE-FISH

I have heard that neon tetras are the first thing to put into your tank once you have it up and running (to start your communtty) about They said i should put in 5-10 then wait a waeek or soo then add another 10 untill you have got about 20-30 then start adding different fish .i also heard from another person that you should put in plattys or catfish first if you are a begginner with a new tank(my tank is 1 mtre by 60 cm) because if you do something wrong in terms of water level drops or rises they are strong and can handle it unlike neon tetras with are very sensitive.Who should i listen to???

Hi i have just set up my first tank , i started off by adding a few fish at a time , first 6 neons , the following week i bought 6 guppies , the third week (this week ) we have swordtails and also a Siamese fighter .I think the main thing to remember is only to add a small number of fish each week.There are plenty of experts here who i am sure help you out .There are several posting on the same topic and from what i have read just take you time when adding new fish ,keep up with water changes and enjoy your tank

You want to add fish slowly and in reasonably small numbers to build up good bacteria in your tank and help it cycle. After that happens (see posts about testing your water for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites etc) you can continue to add fish... you don't want to add a large number all at once - at any time - as you will overload your tank...

Many people use neons at the start as they are cheap. Danios are also good 'cycling' fish as they are pretty hardy and also neat community fish.

Neons are definitely happier in groups as they are a shoaling fish - 6 or so would probably be the minimum number, but over time you can increase the number as long as your tank size/filtration etc are ok.

Most people on the site will advise that you just need to be patient and test your water conditions. Better to go a bit slowly rather than having fatalities all over the show! more satisfying and better for you bank balance (not to mention the fish!)

Search the site for threads about 'cycling tanks' and you'll find heaps of good info and advice.