Two Discus Pairs

The Great White Hand

Hi

Two of my discus (7cm Blue turq and 11cm checkerboard (#1 fish in tank)) have paired up. they are laying eggs every couple of wks or so and are giving the other two discus (7cm San Merah and 9cm Orange/ Sunrise (former #1 fish)?) a hard time, shooing them into a corner.

The tank is a AR980 (215tlr), using the hood filter and a CF1200 external filter, but marginal size-wise for four discus. Should I get rid of either the other two as this doesn't look like a good long-term proposition?

AMENDMENT TO ABOVE: Make that two breeding pairs, just found the San Merah and the Sunrise protecting a bunch of eggs on a twisted val.

Regards, TGWH

well you must be doing something right if you're discus are spawning so often. Would be nice to raise some discus fry unfortunatley i'm pretty sure all my discus are male :-? Can't really offer any advice but if you end up selling any i might be interested ;)

Hi jolliolli

I think I'll almost certainly need to get remove one of the pairs from my tank.

I'd love to see these fish breed but I'm not interested in doing it myself as this stage. If you've got a set-up for breeding or are interested in setting one up maybe we could sort something out?

I'd like to keep one pair as my tank can handle two discus easily. {Options are: a single fish ( I couldn't bring myself to break up a pair even if I didn't want them to breed): a breeding pair (which I have two of) or 4-5 discus tank mates (which I thought I had but haven't got now)}

Regards, TGWH

Hi

I might have the names wrong:

The checkerboard? (looks very similar to the "leopard" with fry you posted on Aug 15, Discusguru)? is an awesome blue/brown/black 11cm fish (see my tank photos or photos or "photos of my discus" when it was smaller) and the 7cm blue turq? looks quite simarlar in hues but less vivid and not as attractive markings. Both nice shapes

The San Merah is dark apricot and the orange/sunrise is a bright orange.

Regards, TGWH

• 4 weeks later...

Keep the 2 Red's if you don't have tetras etc in the tank there’s a good chance they will raise the fry. I've raise Discus in a tank with Cory’s, Rams and Kuili's. I've got a tank divider for a AR980 if needed.