cleaning protein skimmer

chimera

I've got a Deltec protein skimmer which works very well for my setup. However, I want to clean out the pipes coz I think there is a calcium build up specifically in one of the venturi valves or furthur back in the pump somewhere. The reason I say this is because if I blow into one of the inlet air hoses it bubbles out the valve very easily yet the other inlet hose I need to blow quite hard I almost passed out :D

I've submersed it in a large bucket of fresh water and have turned it on for the last hour to see if that will clear it. Doesnt seem to have done the trick though...

Any other bright ideas?

I would use white vinigar. Soak it overnight then clean with a pipe cleaner etc. Calcium gets everywhre and does build up. I get calcium buildup on my heaters and inside my pumps so I assume it can get in you skimmer too.

I have got into the habbit of cleaning out my skimmer every 3 months. Disconnect it, and give it a good scrub inside and out, saves all the problems of neglect over time. Also gets worst the more light gets on it.

Good luck

Pie

reef - i say calcium build up because reef central mentioned something about calcium build up - maybe i got the terminology wrong but thats what i read. now i cant find the f&*%*ing article on ideas to fix.

white vinegar is probably the go i think, good stuff to clean with i've found so far.