Advice sought on Cichlid set up & tank mates & lionh

sorcha

Hi, I'm thinking of changing my 5 ft tank to a cichlid set up & quite keen to get some Lionhead/lumphead cichlids, anyone know what they would go well with, any other info on setting up etc? I currently have kissing gouramies, a red tail shark, bristlenose & corys which if not suitable would have to think again or sell them.

Cheers

Im pretty sure you might actually get away with adding lionheads to your tank.. I have seen them with all sorts really, I keep mine with malawi's as do a few others I know and they seem to handle themselves alright.. But have seen them in fully planted species tanks, im unsure how they would go aggression wise with you fish though..

Cool, that would be good if they would go together as the kissers are quite cool, do you know if they'd go ok with angels & what other cichlids?the tanks looking rather empty but I don't want to have too many either, a bit of colour or character fish would be good, thanks for your reply.

Cool-sounds good, i'll do some more research into an african set up.

I should pm you instead as this isn't that related but my name on TM is rangeview, I asked about your electric yellows FS, would be keen to get some if they would all be suitable together? I haven't actually bought the lionheads yet and they are only young also. My ph is about 7.5 at the moment though. What are your thoughts on them being suitable?

Also prob couldn't pick up until the weekend.

Cheers

So your planning to stick yellows in with your kissing gourami, RTS, bristlenoses and cories?

It could work I don't know how the cories would fare most likely ok as the yellows wont bother them they're so different..

Its a rather unorthodox mix thats for sure, I have seen similar ones work and had people buy fish of me to stick them with similar.. However everyone who has come out and seen what a full african setup looks like has come back and got more africans and gone that way separated all their others out into smaller tanks or sold them I think the fish do alot better when kept with compatible tank mates.

Also regarding the trademe auction the mods here are very tough on any contact or anything regarding trademe auctions on here so everything has to go through trademe.