Help Info on my filter

djay

Hi I just brought a aqua one cf1000, I have it going alright, what i was wondering is when i go to clean media will i have to bleed it again or do i just have to open the valves and turn on at wall .

Thanks any info would be appreciated

Dianne

Caryl:

Don't foget you don't have to clean the media until you notice a reasonable drop in the return flow of the water

Is that for all types of filters including hang on the back types? I was wondering because I usually clean my filter once a month. Yet, I have seen and been told here that you don't need to clean them that often basically for the same reason you said. But I thought that was only if you had a canister filter?

Caper

Filters will accumulate debris over time regardless of type and this will reduce the water flow. You'll have to clean out the mechanical filtration part of your filter occasionally (Like Carol says, when the water flow is noticably lessened). There's no need to clean your biological filtration media unless it is also clogged to hell with debris, which shouldn't happen if your mechanical filter is working and maintained. If you get too keen in cleaning your biological filter media, you'll be killing off helpful nitrifying bacteria if you're not too careful. Obviously, this will affect the efficiency of your biological filtration and the nitrogen cycle.

The bio filter only gets rinsed in bucket of tank water. The mechanical filters have carbon in them so they get changed every second week.

But I mean the actual filter "container", the intake tube, etc. should they be cleaned monthly or only when water flow is restricted. Example, when I cleaned the intake tube of one of my filters that last time is had quite a bit of scum (for lack of a better word :oops: ) which I thought if left was unhealthy for the fish????

Caper

If you're dismantling the filter and are able, there's no harm in cleaning the casing at all. In fact, you should make sure the impeller housing at least is cleaned and checked each time you dismantle your filter anyway to ensure it's working efficiently and the rod is in one piece. Scum on the inlet pipe to your filter is to be expected - this is where the dirty water comes in. Again, there's no harm in running a tube brush through it to clean it out and make sure the water flows well.

Anything that ensures the water flows through the filter in the most efficient way is good. Just take care of your biological media.

Keep doing as you were Caper as it worked well for you. Me, I am lazy so don't clean them until I really really have to :lol:

I have had a hang on the back filter with a thick coating of fuzz over the outflow lip. Didn't impede the flow so I didn't worry about it. It only got cleaned when the sponge got so full of crud it pushed the lid off the top of the filter case :roll: