DIY lights / shelf unit.

Ianab

Finally finished off my dual purpose project. Lights for my 1.2m tank and a shelf to keep my computer bits away from the 9 month old thats just learning to crawl :-?

As the tank is packed with big plecos I haven't even tried to plant it, so the lights are just cheap daylight compact flouro lamps. Real budget, but I just needed some light so you can see the fish, and the plecs are happier with lower light level anyway.

Total budget about $15, plus the wood, which I saw myself anyway. :D

DSC05162s.jpg

Just the tank.

DSC05161s.jpg

And now I have enough light to actually get pics of the plecos 8)

DSC05172s.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Are those all goldspots? Heh, at least they're only medium sized plecs, they'll still get cramped in there.

yip.. there are 3 goldspots and a small common in there :oops:

I'm planning on getting a bigger tank next year, I know they are gonna outgrow this one :wink: 8)

Yup there are some tiger barbs in there, some kribensis and a stray bala shark. I wont to get some more tigers and balas, but will wait untill I get my bigger tank. The tank doesn't look crowded in the picture, but you cant see the 4 plecos lurking around in there :-?

Feeding time video from last night 8)

Cheers

Ian

oh thats what a pleco looks like. i got one sold to me as bristlenose(at least it looks like those) which means ill have to get rid of when they get bigger maybe

If it's a bristlenose pleco it will be fine in any sensible size tank, they only grow to 10 or 12cm long. Great in a community tank.

Pleco is the common name for all the Loricariidae (armoured suckermouth) catfish. There are about 500 known speces that grow from 3cm to 60cm+ long. I have 3 Goldspots, a couple of Commons, a Sailfin and 2 Bristlenose at the moment. Thats why I need a bigger tank ;)

Link to everything you need to know about Bristenose plecos :)

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=49

Cheers

Ian