The frog that lived!

Zhacque

Hey!

A wee story all... We built our pond last year, put 5 tadpoles, one mussel, and 5 goldfish in it..

We also have 3 cats!

Last autumn I found 2 dead frogs, which we were gutted about, and proceeded to give up on the others...

Photographed last week (see below!)

http://picasaweb.google.com/Thunderbolt ... 6497291026

Woo hoo! It's VERY quick too, cats don't stand a chance!

thats why were are all here, to learn, and help others.

goldfish eat tadpoles and frogs thats y to keep them in a pond, it has to be one or the other... frogs have been on the decline due a sickness and on in the last few weeks have they found a cure... so i hope that frogs will one day be all over the place again now that they have this cure

Do they require still pools of water?

I have a water race going through my place (used by stock mainly) it rises and falls depending on the season as is diverted from a rived by the concil somewhere well upstream....

I though it might be neat to introduce some frogs :)

frogs prefere a slow gentle pond...

a running strem wouldnt be ideal, sorry to say

as far as it goes for doseing wild frogs and tadpoles for diease what can be done it dose the tadpoles... so get a net and catch them put them in a bucket, dose then release,

and for native frogs tht dont have a tadpols stage then one idea that pops into my head would be to bread froms in captivity (which is allready happing) then release them to where there parents were caught...

I am not sure i agree with the frogs or goldfish thing, I guess we must either be lucky or weird. We have a abundent number of frogs and a abundent number of very large comets in our pond and they seem to live happily together. I guess there are lots of factors that you have to look at, like the size of your pond, the size of the frog population and the size of your fish.

Anyway, frogs rock and I am glas one survived.

Good... he swims around, sits on the lily pads, sits on the rocks in the sun, but any sign of movement, and he's GONE! I'm talking about 5 metres inside the house, if any of us move, he's into the water! I guess that's how he's survived! I had to stalk him to get that photo!