Rain water - water ager needed?

blueit7

Our water is rain water collected off our roof. Do I need to use water ager in my water before I add it to my tanks? Nothing is added to the water, it sits in a big tank and goes through a filter before coming out the tap.

I've had a bit of a search on the net but can't really find an answer. :-?

No need to treat the rainwater - it's pretty close to pure water already.

The only thing to watch for is that it's so pure there is no mineral pH buffering. This means that it's easy to change the pH and it can swing pretty fast.

If you have problems with this there is a treatment thats is used with Reverse Osmosis filters. You add a little bit of this and it it puts a trace of hardness back in the water and makes it more pH stable.

But if you aren't having pH problems its not really needed. :wink:

Cheers

Ian

Thank you.

My PH is quite low at 6 out of the tap. I used to try and bring it up but couldn't keep it stable so figured I was doing more harm than good.

I don't have fish dieing for no apararent reason so all must be well. :D

I just take a long time to acliamatise new fish as they are usually used to a bit higher.

If you did want to bring it up a bit a bit of crushed oyster shell in your filter, lime stone in your tank or even a stocking of crushed coral or even coral bits and pieces would do, obviously just add little bits until you have achieved what you want..

However I think your on the right track not messing with it if your fish are happy :)