Light Brown Fluffy stuff

nicmack

In my 980 tank I have a whole lot of fluffy light brown stuff attaching itself to the pipes and plant leave it kind of looks like cobwebs its really hard to vacuum out and seems to of appeared since i removed my old carbon filters and added in another cannister filter, but this may be a coincidence? so how do I get rid of it , is there a specific algae eater, will it be harmful to the discus at all? thanks :)

Just sounds like 'brown algae'. Most algae eating fish will take care of it although make sure to avoid the Chinese Algae Eater or Golden Algae Eater as these will cause problems later. Bristlenose are good, Siamese Algae Eaters or Flying Fox will be great too.

Side note, the fish sold in NZ as 'Siamese Flying Fox' could be SAE's or Flying Fox (different fish that look similar). Last time I checked they were genuine SAE's (which is good).

A bristlenose Pleco will be fine in there too, and they love that soft brown algae.

Just dont accidently buy one of the other plecos, they are OK, untill they get to be over a foot long :o :-?

Cheers

Ian

I like the bigger plecos better than bristlenoses. Why have a little fish when you could have a beautiful big fish?:)