Fish that doesnt come to the top to eat

sub.z

I got a new goldfish last weekend and he doesnt come to the surface to eat. All of my other fish are say 7-8cm and he is really big say 15cm. Every time i feed flakes he misses out so i have been putting a algae tab in at the same time. He then has to fight the other fish for the tab. What can i do to get him eating at the top?

My gut feeling - but that's all it is - would say let the fish grow hungry, and it'll eat.

Is it trying to come up to the surface? Are other fish not letting it or chasing it?

I've also found it takes a while for fish to settle in and the other aquarium inhabitants to accept them. Give it a few weeks maybe.

Did the new fish come from a pond and what was he being fed? He may not be used to flake, having previously been fed sinking pellets. He will figure it out eventually.

If he has come in from a pond his digestive system may not be working yet (they shut down over winter)

If your flakes are big'ish.. i would deliberately sink some. They will probably sink slower than those sinking pellets.. plus it'll get him used to the flakes.. and then he will hopefully spot them at the surface and start coming up. I bought some Wardley's goldfish granules that were called 'slow sinking' but they sank like stones!!!