New Discus Tank – Advise please!!

1MAX1

I’ve been admiring my virtual discus for many years and now it’s the time for the real thing. My new tank is approximately 150lt measuring 750(L) x 420(W) x 560(H). Do you think I could fit 6 in this tank? Or, maybe 4 are more appropriate for this size?

I prefer my discus with solid colour so red, blue and gold would go well together. Any suggestions on the discus strains that fall into these colour categories? Probably it’ll cost me an arm and a leg if I’m buying all six together but I’ll consider it as my Christmas present. :lol:

Could any one recommend some good and reputable breeders around Auckland area? One last question, is there a discus fish club in NZ that I can join?

I’m looking forward to reading your advice and commends. Thanks in advance.

Id probably guess around the 6 month mark if they have been raised properly and fed well.

Some strains will show their colouring at that size (melons etc) but usually the turqs and spotteds fill in more as they mature.

Do you know if you will be having a barebottom tank? If you do you have more room in the way of stocking because you can keep the tank alot cleaner than with stones/plants hiding all the gunk hence them usually growing better.

Welcome to the world of extra water changes my friend :lol:

Hey guys, thanks for your advice so far, much appreciated.

Sharn – good question, planted or barebottom tank? I would go for a planted tank as it looks more natural but will prepare to strip it bare if it’s getting messy. Yes, extra water changes, thanks for reminding me. :-?

Ron – what’s their growth rate? In a planted tank, water changes 3 times a week, feed twice daily and weekly treat of live feed. I would like to gauge how long I could keep them in the tank (6 x 6cm) before I need to upgrade to a bigger tank.

Ron – what’s their growth rate? In a planted tank, water changes 3 times a week, feed twice daily and weekly treat of live feed. I would like to gauge how long I could keep them in the tank (6 x 6cm) before I need to upgrade to a bigger tank.

It depends on strains too, some grow faster than other. With 2 feeding a day and in a planted tank the growth won't be fast. Probably 6 months before you need an upgrade.

ron