red whiptail

shadowfax

found one on the weekend & it looked perfectly fine, no sign of anything nasty in the tank all other fish seemed ok so i brought it & chucked it in my tank. ( in saying this there where a few other tanks in the lfs that were being treated) it looked fine for a couple of days & i hadn't seen it since tuesday & ive just spotted it & noticed its covered in whitespot so ive turned up the temp alittle. im guessing it would be sensitive to treatments so im wondering what others have used on whiptails with success.

Its a good idea to have a quarantine tank for new fish, particularly if they are from a pet shop that have tanks under treatment... :-?

It will protect from potentially spreading the disease to your healthy fish and will save you from a lot of grief and $$ in the future.

A qtine tank may not have helped with whitespot because it can be caused by stress and may surface in the qtine tank and then again when you move to the tank you want it in.. But it is a good idea for other things..

As for treatment ive used the wonder whitespot cure temp and salt to treat clown loaches.. See if the temp and aeration works first and go from there :)

Hi Shadowfax, is your red whiptail what is also known as the red lizard whiptail,or L010a? Just wondering what subsrate you have them on? Ive got a few of them and they love a sandy bottom, they find it easy to dig through it with their whiskers when feeding.

If they are the same fish that we have , the recommended temp for breeding is 82.F, which is quite warm and also a good temp for getting rid of whitespot. Apparently catfish are more sensitive to treatments, but i have dosed my tank with white whiespot cure to help the guppies with them, as i spoted it early on. Had no problems and the whitespot went. Depending on what other fish you have in their tank they can definitely handle increased temp. You could possibly try Melafix rather than whiespot cure if you are concerned with that.

Good luck helping he/her heal,they are beautiful active fish

I'd be inclined to take the medication route with this one. Sooner the better. Pretty sure its not great for the filter but once whitespot takes hold it spreads faster than you can imagine.

Sorry not sure how sensitive whiptails are to medication. Perhaps a half dose.

With whitespot you treat the tank not the fish.