Metal Halide Questions

jolliolli

hey guys looking for some advice on metal halides. Currently im running a juwel 400L aquarium with 2x T5 and 2 x T8s. Dimensions of the tank are 151cm x 51cm x 62 cm. At the moment i only really have softies, a couple of small acros from cookie thinking long term i would like to go the metal halide route. I had been thinking of getting one of these

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/marine_metal_halides.php

in the 4ft version suspended as a pendant above the tank. Would this be suitable, what should i be looking for in terms of wattage etc. Would a 4ft pendant be acceptable on a 5ft tank?

Also if you run MH bulbs can you put a perspex lid over the tank with some holes drilled to allowed heat dissipation etc? If possible id like to keep some sort of lid to prevent the possibility of jumpers getting out of the tank and also to reduce evaporation etc

2x 150's would be stretching it on a 5ft tank... I have 2x 150's on a 3 ft... I'm not saying its not possible, but it would mean you couldn't put corals wherever you wanted in the tank... the SPS would have to go directly below the halides... In saying that many people do go down this route, It just means the rock pillars you build will typically need to be built below the halide so the corals are close to the surface.

nono.. 150's will be fine... but if I was you I would go for 3x 150's not 2x... Its the spread of light we are interested in here, no the intensity. My tank is 600 deep and I have no problems keeping SPS under 150's. I have a clam doing well on the bottom of the tank as well as all SPS doing well... Just I don't think 2x150's is enough spread for a 5 ft long tank.

Cheers-Dave

nono.. 150's will be fine... but if I was you I would go for 3x 150's not 2x... Its the spread of light we are interested in here, no the intensity.

ahh ok, thanks for the heads up

did you give Tel a ring on his mobile? he had a great unit for sale at a very very good price.

i tried buying some stuff of tel but unfortunately he wasn't keen to ship

2x 150w will be fine. unless you want tank full of Acropora.

some 150w bulbs are brighter than many 250w bulbs . so make sure you get quality bulbs, I would say the aquaone bulbs are crap.

Pointless covering the tank as you will reduce the light.

Just get fish that dont jump.