Insects

peterj

Hi,

I dont know where to ask these questions, therefore I´m trying here.

Does anyone know of any people keeping your native insects? Do you need a permit to keep them or not? Are there any restrictions on them?

Would really appreciate if someone could answer my questions and maybe point me in the right direction so I can get in touch with some insect-keepers.

Thanks

Peter

there are only a very few species that need permits (the really endangered ones like giant and tusked weta, etc). I think a permit would be needed for katipo also because it is venomous, but I'm not sure. Apart for dedicated entomologicophiles few people bother keeping invertebrates, and most of those are just casual (they think it would be neat to keep weta or mantids or whatever). The insect-keeping scene here is vastly different from Europe's

I think the most serious trouble would be if you tried to collect them from a National Park or Dept of Conservation reserve etc. Big legal trouble :o

As for the common native insects that you can find in the back garden or on private land, generally no problems.

I have tree wetas getting into my shed, and sometimes even the house all the time. I'm not trying to keep them, they just wander in :-?

Like coelacanth said, there is no real organised insect collector society here, but if the kids want a pet weta/spider/stick-insect, they just go outside and catch one.

Cheers

Ian

This is one of my visitors 8)

Weta02.jpg

And a baby one I found on my boot one morning.

Weta01.jpg

Some big trees, hedges or ivy seem to really attract them. Small well tended gardens dont have enough hiding places to keep them safe from cats and birds. The more 'wild' the garden the more bugs it will attract. :D

Thats my excuse anyway. :wink:

Cheers

Ian