Cloudy water, change?

Caper

2 of my tanks are cloudy...one more so than the other. I was checking some old posts here & one of the suggestions for cloudy water in an establised tank was overfeeding...I thought I was doing fine :oops: , but just in case...anyway, the suggestion was not to feed for 3 days...what do you think??????

I will test in the morning. But the other question is...I should still do my water change, right?

Caper

Thanks Ira :bow:

So...do you think I should stop the feeding for 3 days? The cloudiness has been "visible" for a couple of weeks now but basically just enough to notice. But when I came home tonight & turned the lights on in the 29 gallon, I was shocked to see how cloudy it has become :o

Caper

Just flakes, with the exception of last night & tonight algae discs.

I don't feed my fish on Sundays & usually the goldies get their peas on Monday. But they haven't had them in a couple of weeks or more, I keep forgetting to get them when I get groceries :-?

Oh, and last Saturday cucumber (put in at night, took out next day before cleaning tank).

Funny you should mention pellets. I picked up shrimp pellets for the first time tonight. But as usual, wanted to check with you folks as far as feeding with them.

Caper

Ira

My tanks go cloudy occasionally, but it has nothing at all to do with feeding, it's caused by the water changes

Mine do sometimes after a water change...but it usually clears within a couple of hours or so.

Cleaning filters:

-every 2 weeks change the filter that has the carbon in it

-once a month (occasionally a week or 2 more) I take them apart & give them a good cleaning while doing the monthly maintenance the bio

filter(s) sit in the last bucket of water I removed from the tank

Water changes:

-water changes: usually weekly (although on occasion is has been longer, but that is rare) 29 gallon tanks - 27 liters; 10 gallon, 9 liters (I'm lousy at metric, I know the liters by the markings on the bucket :-? :oops: )

Yep, use a gravel vac

Oh my gosh, I just tested my tanks...the ammonia in the goldies tank was 1. I have had my tanks over 2 years now & it is the first time this has happened. I immediately did a 50% water change. Any ideas as to why this could have happened????? Nothing new in the tank other than a couple of artificial plants, they hadn't been used in quite awhile but I rinsed them really well.

So, what makes an established tank's ammonia to go up????

Caper