Where to get Prazi?

paekakboyz

Hi All,

I've diagnosed a couple of cases of gill/skin flukes (with some excellent help from site members!) and have been trying to track down some Prazi for treatment. I've read that its a vet only product and I'm trying to work out how I can get hold of enough to treat a 360L tank...

Is anyone able to help out with this?

thanks

Ouch! That one helluva lot of prazi!! The stuff is terribly expensive.

Any way you can crowd them into a smaller tank for about 2 weeks?

At a decent temperature that's probably long enough to rid them of the parasites and and eggs.

Also if the temp is high enough in your tank any parasites in there should die from not finding any hosts I think.

You might want to investigate fluketabs. I dont' know if they're any cheaper but they might be (and they might need fewer treatments).

There are some references to using potassium permanganate for flukes.. but some websites say you'd be crazy to use it (anyone ever tried?). It would be cheap as.. but apparently it's very hard to get the dose right as it depends on a lot of factors, pH and the amount of organics etc and apparently it can go very wrong if everythign isn't just right. This website doesn't mention any of the cons. I guess to get 10mg/L you'd have to make up some sort of stock solution and dose from there. Not sure how it would affect your plants and I'm guessing you want heaps of aeration...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/flukes.php

Seems like you could do a farmalin/malachite green treatment too...

Your best bet might be to do some googling!!!

We can't get prazi-pro here can we? Can it be ordered via internet? Prazi isn't a controlled drug I'm guessing since it can be bought at the grocery?

Here's a good bit of info re. treating with formalin (formalin will damage your plants apparently.. but you can probably strip the plants and treat them in some PP separately?)

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA033

thanks for the info guys - I've been a bit annoyed at how hard it is to find any medication for flukes in any of the 3 petshops I've visited... I've cranked the temp up to 28-29 and hopefully that will kill off any fresh parasites.

I'll hit google and see what I find - cheers for the links also :D

I emailed someone at Brooklands (they used to distribute fluketabs).

He replied:

Sorry due to strict Animal Remedies requirements these days we can no longer sell this product. Your vet may be able to help you get some praziquantal.

So definitely no more fluketabs. Yes... what are fishkeepers supposed to use for flukes? We need some help. It seems the most readiliy available stuff is formalin with malachite green but again, I've never seen this sold in combined form.. so it would be difficult for the average fishkeeper to get the combination just right.

Maybe someone's fishy vet could stock some adtape and sell in in 250ml bottles?