Otopharynx Lithobates at HFF Mt Roskill

peanut2110

Hi there, anyone know anything about these particular fish i.e. what strain they are? They are a good price so I am picking they were locally bred rather than imported. I understand there are a few variations (yellow crest, red crest etc) but the person I spoke to at HFF didn't know which these guys were or what colour they would ultimately end up. They are only 4-5cm at present and not showing much colour but there is a yellow blaze on the dorsal fin apparently if that helps with identification... Cheers.

If the fish came in with no particular variant then they don't have one.. There are some on the list at the moment, the ones that came in a year or so ago looked most like these ones.. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=2293

Guess all you can do is buy them and grow them out see what one they turn into..

As Ryan said, they are just what they are. Same as here in Aussie, we only have Otopharynx lithobates. They are the yellow blaze ones, but the name mentioned is all that we can call them.

The joys old old lineage cichlids. They find a new fish call it a name, thats it. Sometimes they found the same fish in other bays, but because so similar left them as is.

As classifications got better, notice small differences, colour, teeth etc, they now have variants.

Frenchy :D

Thanks for all the input! I decided to take the plunge and got a good friend of mine in Auckland to go and pick one up for me late this afternoon as they were disappearing fast! We'll have to wait and see what we end up with - I'm not even sure at this stage we successfully managed to get a male! I am hoping it will be the yellow crested variety like those you get in Oz Frenchy as I think they are awesome but even if it isn't, I am sure I will love it anyway... :D