Tank build

jolliolli

So as you know a few weeks ago i bought an existing reef setup off trademe and over the past few weeks have been setting it all up, making a few modifications to the plumbing etc, so tonight i thought i'd add some pics. These are all progress pics. I've added the sand, rocks and corals during the week and have it all running and should be picking up the livestock tomorrow all things going to plan

IMG_2413.jpg

Before the cleanup

Needed a good clean up, cleaned all the woodwork. Previous owners had painted the back of the glass which annoyingly had gone on to the cabinet. Lots of scraping and cleaning to get it off.

Rio-400.jpg

All cleaned up :D

IMG_24411.jpg

Tank and Skimmer. Well this definitely isn't my area! my fiance did all the work on this so i have him to thank. The cabinet was lined with black water-resitant rubber, then foam to line the cabinet for noise reduction. Ball-valve was added so that we can shut the overflow off if necessary (which in the end was just as well as after filling the tank we found the overflow had a very slow leak in the main tank.... you can imagine what would happen if the power went off... resilicioned it all and now its good. Probably looking at changing the sump down the road.

Anywayt thats it so far, if anyone has any suggestions or comments fire them through, ill add the more exciting photos of actual tank contents tomorrow!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how did you get your arm down that tiny overflow?
very trickly, luckily my arms just fit ;) (guess thats the advantage of being a girl, no bulging muscles). Water goes back to the tank via return pump but you;re right its very tight and not well designed so i'm thinking about a rebuild. Overflow i'd like to be bigger, in fact we were thinking of changing it to a full siphon but we don't have the room in the current one

The sump is pretty small, maybe get a hang on skimmer and remove the sump.

The sump is so small that the skimmer will be skimming the same water coming out of the skimmer. This is not very efficient.

I would keep the set up how it is and see how it goes as you don’t want to be spending more money upgrading the faults in the tank.

Buying second hand can end up costing more than starting from brand new.

How's that algae problem you mentioned on the rock?

Algae seemed to reduced quite a big when i took it out of the holding tank, ive added phosguard as i still have some algae growing on the sand (which i think is also caused by a dead spot in the flow) Need some fancy tunze nanos so i can direct hte flow a bit more once the budget allows.

I have the TWO smallest overflows in the world :D

My previous tank i bought was a Rio 300 for my freshwater tank which was converted to marine. It also had the same size overflow (9cm x 9cm) but we ripped that out for the freshwater setup. I believe both overflows were done by redwood aquatics so they must build them small.

The sump is pretty small, maybe get a hang on skimmer and remove the sump.

The sump is so small that the skimmer will be skimming the same water coming out of the skimmer. This is not very efficient.

very true, i have a hang on red sea skimmer which i was using on my interim tank but found out it has a leak :evil: Ive only been running the skimemr for a day so will be interested to how much it pulls out.

Algae seemed to reduced quite a big when i took it out of the holding tank, ive added phosguard as i still have some algae growing on the sand (which i think is also caused by a dead spot in the flow)

Turn the lights off for 3 days. very reduce the algae. corals will be ok

just by the looks at the overflow i would guess it was designed as a full syphon system already. it has the flow valve below the tank.

No we added the ballvalve ourselves, previously it was just plumbed straight through. Not sure about the sump/tank flooding thing, atm the tank is filled all the way up to where the trim starts. I don't think there is any glass inside the trim which could mean if the tank level rose even an inch or two it could possibly leak through the plastic. i might give it a test and see what happens

Well the livestock arrived today, and are all in the tank now, only problem i had was the mandarin goby, i was floating him in a bag in the tank acclimating him and all of a sudden he turned upsidedown stopped breathing and appeared dead! i hadn't added any water from the tank at this stage but maybe the stress was a bit much for him, or perhaps ammonia had built up in the bag, anyway i had to pretty much get him of the bag and in the the water without acclimation. He recovered in the water and swam around but then disappeared behind in to some rocks and i haven't seem him since, so i'm hoping he's just hiding and hasn't died under a rock somewhere... The shrimp, tang, clownfish, blenny and clam all adjusted well, acclimated them over the period of around 40 minutes. At the moment i have a lot of microbubbles, i'm just going to wait them out and see if htey disappear as the skimmer break itself in.

Right some pics

Full tank shot

IMG_24431.jpg

Left side

IMG_24621.jpg

Right side with clowns

IMG_24591.jpg

Length on with tang

IMG_24661.jpg

blue Clam

IMG_24441.jpg

One of the shrimps

IMG_24691.jpg

lots to still sort out but should be lots of fun. Couldn't get a photo of the lawnmower blenny he's too quick!

Well you've got a real jump start with all that stuff already growing, bet you're stoked!

Interesting story about the mandarin. For me I like to get the fish in as fast as i can, sometimes they can do themselves more damage stressing in the bag than what it is worth.

When I'm putting in a new fish i test the salinity in the bag, if it's same as the tank i'll change 50% of the water in the bag with tank water, sit it in the tank for 5 minutes and then straight in.

If salinity is markedly different it might take a few hours though or I might do it in a different tank over a few days with some fish.

Well you've got a real jump start with all that stuff already growing, bet you're stoked!

Sure am :D

pretty much captivated at looking at the tank all the time, its so hard to keep your eyes off with all that movement :). managed to get a pic of the blenny, i just love that face!

IMG_2472-1.jpg

Spotted the mandarin at this morning looking for food, which leads me to my next question. I've read about their need for a live food supply and i think i'v emost likely killed off any copepods living in the sand when i washed the sand. Is there anything i can do to increase my copepod population? Also anything in particular i should be doing in terms of care/maintenance in the first few weeks? i figured i'd water test daily to make sure their aren't any spikes in ammonia etc with the addition of the livestock.

That's one of those blennies that's do ugly it's beautiful LOL.

Almost certainly there will be some copepods on the rocks just depends how long for them to build up enough to sustain the mandarin, but the algae film you had will help them. Not much you can do other than wait it out.

• 4 weeks later...

some new additions thanks to cookie extreme, still battling some aiptasia and cyano though

Can't remember the name of this one, can someone enlighten me?

IMG_2554.jpg

Xenia

IMG_2551.jpg

Leather

IMG_2555.jpg

Acro frag on right

IMG_2557.jpg

Hammer, frogspawn and clown

IMG_2550.jpg

Anenomes have started hosting the clowns :bounce: and they've become very protective of it, tried to feed the anenome yesterday and got several sharp nips from the clowns. I've also had to move the feather duster twice as they've taken a disliking to it and have started headbutting it.